4th Water

Episode 4.8 - Related Stranger

Disclaimers:

The Watership Down series belongs to Alltime and Decode Entertainment. The original characters were the work of Richard Adams, however, many of the characters in the series were changed, and these belong to Alltime/Decode. I am just borrowing the characters for this fansite, and I mean no-one any harm by this. I am in no way connected with any of the companies mentioned above.

This is supposed to be a fanfic fourth series, continuing on from my Virtual 3rd series, rather than continuing from the official series 3. It is in no way supposed to detract from the official third series. When I originally planned out my third series, I never knew of the existance of the official one. As it has never, and doesn't look as though it ever will be, aired in the UK, I decided to write an alternative series, continuing on from where series 2 (The Homecoming) left off. By the time I started 4th Water, I had an idea of what happens in some of the official third series, hence some of it (but not all) has been planned to try and avoid sounding too similar.

All characters are completely fictitious and any resemblance to any persons either living or dead is purely coincidental. If anyone has any problems with this episode, they are advised to contact the webmaster on [email protected].

 

Writer's notes:

Yikes! I suddenly realised when it came to writing this that I've left my primary paper plans back at home. =:o Luckily I can pretty much remember what they said, otherwise I'd have had serious trouble writing this.

I'm still trying to figure out how this will fit in around my university schedule mind. Hopefully, I can avoid too many delays, but I'm not promising. =;)

(Oh, and I decided to risk attempting to construct a few names using Loganberry's pages on Lapine again. Don't expect me to be anywhere near right on this one though).


Down by the River

Most of the rabbits from the Down were out scouting the area near where Bigwig had previously picked up the faint tracks of other rabbits. He hadn't identified it as Cowslip and Woundwort, however the suspicion that it was significant wouldn't stop pricking his mind. The miserable grey sky threatened to open up any moment, a fact that a certain pessimistic buck was keen to point out, however Bigwig wasn't about to turn back. Infact, such was his determination to pick up the scent once more, he had persuaded Hazel to bring most of the warren out to help.

"Gah! Still nothing!", growled Bigwig despondently, as Hazel and Fiver walked up to him.

"This was definitely the spot.", he continued to Hazel defiantly, indicating at an area near the river. It had rained heavily the previous day, so any remaining scent had by now been washed away. Despite that, Bigwig still knew the exact location.

"Can you sense anything Fiver?", asked Hazel, turning to his brother.

"I don't know Hazel. I..it's almost as though we've been here before. Like it's happening again.", replied Fiver.

"Of course we've been here before, lad. We've been here lots of times.", smiled Bigwig.

"Bigwig!", Dandelion's voice rang out from the nearby trees. It wasn't a sound of alarm though, more of a whinge.

"Oh no. Here we go again!", muttered Bigwig under his breath.

"How much longer do we have to keep looking, Bigwig?", started Dandelion, appearing from the cover alongside Hawkbit.

"Oh, you know Bigwig. He'd sooner stop running than admit he's not going to find anything.", replied Hawkbit.

"I'm cold and tired...", continued Dandelion.

"That'll be the least of your worries if these rabbits catch us anawares.", replied Bigwig, holding back the urge to cuff the two rabbits.

"Look Bigwig, we've been searching since just before Frithrise. We're not going to find anything.", argued Hawkbit.

Bigwig looked angrily at the two rabbits, then sighed.

"You're right!", he spoke miserably, his head dropping.

Dandelion and Hawkbit stood silent in amazement.

"Was that Bigwig admitting defeat?", whispered Hawkbit to Dandelion eventually.

"Sounded like it to me.", Dandelion whispered back.

"Call everyone back, so I can assign everyone in groups. We'll widen the search. Let's see if we can pick up any tracks on the far side of the river.", smiled Bigwig.

"What!", shouted Hawkbit and Dandelion simultaneously. Even Hazel swung his head to the captain at the suggestion.

"We either widen the search now, or come back to look later. It looks like it'll be raining by then!", replied Bigwig.

"Hazel...", pleaded Hawkbit, looking at his chief.

Hazel looked at Bigwig. The determination on his face was all too apparent. Regardless of what everyone else did, the owsla captain would be out trying to find anything which could help his friends. He looked back at Hawkbit.

"Bigwig has a point. You hate the rain more than anyone, so surely you wouldn't want to be out in it, would you?", Hazel replied.

Dandelion and Hawkbit grumbled, but said nothing more.

Later that day

Bigwig led his group of 4. Originally he had planned to separate everyone off into pairs, choosing to go with Hazel himself. In the end though, he'd dragged Hawkbit and Dandelion along too, not because he wanted them there, but because he knew that without him to keep an eye on them, they'd be back at the Down before you can say Bobstones.

"Keep alert lads. They could be anywhere.", whispered Bigwig. Why he was whispering, nobody really knew.

Hawkbit, following along miserably with Dandelion was about to reply with some sarcastic remark when he stumbled on a rock, and crashed to the ground.

"Right that's enough! I'm going back, regardless of what Bigwig says.", he started, standing up again, and shaking the dust from his fur.

Without waiting for a reply or a brutal cuffing, Hawkbit turned and started to head back.

"Me too!", chipped in Dandelion, joining his friend.

"Wait! I hear something...", whispered Bigwig.

"Oh no. It's the wind... blowing through the trees. Save me frith, save me!", started Hawkbit, before a stern look from Hazel persuaded him to quieten. The four bucks fell silent and listened. Sure enough, they could hear a faint whimper from nearby.

"It's coming from over there.", whispered Hazel, indicating towards some long grass.

"Wait here!", whispered Bigwig, already beginning to head towards it.

"Now remember, don't make a sound.", whispered Bigwig, looking back briefly, before continuing to move stealthily through the short grass. Hawkbit rolled his eyes, not missing the irony that Bigwig's talking was the only noise anyone was making.

A few metres away from the source of the noise, Bigwig stopped to sniff the air again.

"It... it's a rabbit!", he spoke, a little louder than before.

Now confident it wasn't elil, Bigwig stood up a little, although still approached with caution. He reached the edge of the long grass and peered over the top.

"Hazel! You have to come and see this!", he shouted back.

Hazel, Hawkbit and Dandelion quickly joined him. Hazel looked in the grass first. There a small doe, no bigger than Pipkin, lay hunched up in a ball. By now, she had lapsed into unconsciousness and was breathing weakly.

"What are we going to do Hazel?", asked Bigwig.

Before Hazel could answer, a clap of thunder signalled the arrival of the promised storm.

"Bigwig, help me get her back to The Down. Hawkbit, Dandelion... you go and find everyone and tell them to call off the search.", decided Hazel. He did wonder whether Bigwig would be unhappy with the decision, however the Owsla Captain instantly nodded in agreement.

Hawkbit and Dandelion ran off, leaving Hazel and Bigwig to deal with the new rabbit, as the heavens opened, sending forth rain to lash the earth.

*************

Back at Watership Down

By now it was early evening. It had taken some time to round everyone up, however all the rabbits were now back underground. Harebell and Clover lay curled up next to the new doe.

"Who is she, Hazel?", asked Pipkin, amazed to see someone else his size.

"We don't know Pipkin. We just found her out in the middle of nowhere. She doesn't smell of any warren we know of.", replied Hazel.

"Hazel!", shouted Fiver suddenly.

"She's coming round!", he finished.

Hazel ran across to join the group crowded around her.

"Please, Everyone step back a little. We don't want to frighten her.", he spoke.

"Wh...where am I?", she started, looking around in bewilderment. Hazel stepped forward.

"This is our warren on Watership Down. I'm Hazel...", he started.

"How did I get here? And where's Zenthang?", she replied, interrupting him abruptly.

"Who?", interjected Bigwig.

"The other doe who was with me.", replied the Doe.

"There was no other rabbit with you. There were no signs of a rabbit having been with you for some time.", pointed out Bigwig.

The doe hesitated, before struggling to free herself from Harebell and Clover's warm bodies. The two does obligingly moved aside.

"I have to get back to the warren.", she finished, before falling over again.

"Don't hurry. You've... had a bad experience.", replied Bigwig, sounding a little lost as he realised he actually had no idea what had happened to her.

"Bigwig's right. You can barely walk. At least stay until you're a little stronger. We'd be happy to have you.", smiled Hazel.

"And perhaps you could tell us what's going on.", continued Bigwig, also smiling. Although clearly Bigwig was a friendly and caring sort, the doe thought to herself his smile still wasn't as warm and relaxing as Hazel's.

"Or perhaps you'd like to eat first. Hawkbit has some spare flayrah left over from his raid on the farm this morning.", added Hazel, not wanting to appear to be trying to force out an explanation so soon after she'd come round.

"I do?!", replied Hawkbit incredulously.

"That would be nice. I haven't eaten properly in days, not since I left the warren with Zenthang.", replied the doe.

Hazel looked back at Hawkbit, who begrudgingly hopped off towards his burrow.

"Ah, her again. Who is she, and more to the point who are you? You haven't told us your name yet.", smiled Bigwig.

"Sorry about that. I'm Hyfreth. Zenthang is a friend of mine from our warren.", she started.

"Pleased to meet you Hyfreth.", replied Hazel, thinking it was indeed an unusual name. He settled down on the dry ground of the burrow, as she prepared to continue.

"We both left to find help.", she started, before pausing to nibble briefly on the lettuce Hawkbit had already returned with.

"Our warren is living in constant fear thanks to our neighbours. Eyebright has always been a great leader and has organised the warren to keep us safe before. Yet even she can't manage it this time.", continued Hyfreth.

"Another she! Are there actually any bucks in the warren?", snorted Hawkbit.

"Well, no actually.", she replied, much to the surprise of every other rabbit assembled.

"What none at all!", shouted Bigwig.

"Shame we didn't meet you earlier. You'd probably have got on quite well with Wintercress.", muttered Hawkbit.

"But how....", continued Bigwig.

"Oh we had bucks at one point. 4 of them.", she interrupted, seeing the confused expression on Bigwig's face. At the end of the sentence she sighed.

"One day they went out on Owsla patrol... and... well, they never came back.", she continued miserably.

"They just abandoned the warren!", shouted Bigwig.

"We don't think so. All we know is that Man was seen in the woods around that time, and... well, we found traces of blood.", she continued.

"Oh, how awful!", shouted Bigwig, his expression echoing the forlorn look on the faces of his companions. Even Hawkbit looked as though he were about to burst into tears at any moment.

"That wasn't the end of the troubles though.", she continued.

"Shortly after that, a group of hares arrived. No one knows how many there are, but they've made our life a misery. All food has to go to them first, and they make all the important decisions.", she finished before pausing to feast on some more lettuce. Now this confused most of the rabbits. Hares generally don't interact with rabbits. They're usually solitary creatures, who don't live in burrows. Yet here they were overrunning a warren as a group, controlling it in a way which had faint echoes of life in Efrafa.

"And has nobody thought about fighting back?", asked Bigwig.

"Most of us aren't fighters. Eyebright tried to form a new Owsla with some of the does, however with the Hares coming and going so frequently, doing so has proved impossible.", replied Hyfreth.

"Which was why myself and Zenthang escaped to try and find help. Eyebright forbade us from trying, for fear the Hares would attack us. She was right. They happened to return shortly after we left, none-to-happy at us going somewhere without permission. I remember being pursued alongside Zenthang then.... then next thing I remember is waking up here.", she continued, before sighing.

"If you say you couldn't find any signs of her... well, I dread to think.", she finished, dropping her head miserably.

"We did find some rabbit tracks last moon, so perhaps not all is lost.", started Dandelion.

"Yes, it's a good job we decided to explore a little further, otherwise we might never have found you.", continued Hawkbit. Bigwig briefly considered cuffing Hawkbit for that comment, after all his earlier moaning, however he decided not to do so in front of a guest. Afterall, he didn't want to give the impression that he always bullied the grey cloth-eared rabbit.

"That's why I need to get back to the warren as soon as possible. I need to know if she found her way back there.", she explained, before looking around at everyone.

"You! You must be able to help. A warren this healthy must have a well trained Owsla. Oh please will you help us.", she pleaded. Bigwig looked around nervously at Hawkbit, Dandelion and Strawberry.

"Of course we'll help. We'd do anything to help another rabbit.... and if we do have to fight, we have someone even those Hares won't expect. Kehaar!", replied Hazel.

"Kehaw? What sort of rabbit would have a funny name like that?", she asked.

"The beegest bunny there is, ya!", screeched Kehaar, stepping into view.

"Eekk! He's a bird!", screeched Hyfreth, backing away.

"It's okay. He wont hurt you. He's our friend.", spoke Hazel, reassuringly.

"Ya, Kehaar friend to all bunnies. To all bunnies!", added Kehaar, wrapping his wings lovingly around Hawkbit. Bigwig tried not to snigger as Hawkbit struggled in vain to break free.

"If you're feeling better by then, we'll leave at dawn tomorrow. Until then, rest. Tomorrow's going to be a long day.", finished Hazel, not knowing then that the statement would turn out to be truer for him than for her.

*************

The Next Morning

Hyfreth led the way, followed first of all by Hazel and Fiver. Next came Bigwig and his main Owsla before finally Holly, Gooseberry and Pimpernel brought up the rear, mainly because Bigwig had wanted some well trained Owsla officers to come along, a point which he had deliberately made clear to Hawkbit, Dandelion and Strawberry numerous times. Kehaar flew overhead with Hannah, overseeing the operation.

The scent of other rabbits filled the air as they neared the warren, however Hazel also became aware of an increasing apprehension in every move Hyfreth made.

"It's okay.", he finally spoke to reassure her.

"If they're about, Kehaar will give us plenty of warning.", he continued.

"Besides they wouldn't attack when there's this many of us about.", added Bigwig.

Hyfreth smiled back at them, although it was clear she remained troubled, before moving to the entrance of the warren.

"Eyebright? Are you there?", she shouted down the run. Everyone quietened, waiting for a reply. It did dawn on Hazel at that point just how incredibly quiet the entire area was. Not at all like the full-of-life home on the Down.

"Hyfreth? I.. is that you?", came a mumbled reply.

Shortly afterwards, the head of a rabbit appeared in the open, leaving the Watership rabbits gobsmacked. Her fur was largely cream, broken only by her blue eyes, and by a brutal cut across the left of her face.

"I...it can't be!", started Bigwig.

"What in Frith's name is going on here?", added Hawkbit. They both glanced across at Hazel.

"Pr.. Primrose!", whimpered Hazel, his words lost in emotion. Upon instinct alone he was about to run to her, however Bigwig grabbed his shoulder.

"Wait Hazel! We don't know who she is yet.", he muttered in the brown rabbits ear.

"Don't know who she is! Of course we know who she is!", shouted Hazel.

"Where have you been Hyfreth. Zenthang returned some time ago in a bad state. We thought we'd lost you.", replied the new doe.

"She's back!", screeched Hyfreth joyfully.

"Oh, where are my manners. This is our Rah, Eyebright.", she continued to Hazel's band.

"And who are you?", asked Eyebright cheerfully, addressing no-one in particular.

"They come from a warren on a place called Watership Down. They're here to help.", replied Hyfreth.

"Oh thank Frith!", replied Eyebright.

"Welcome, welcome!", she continued, looking around each of the rabbits in turn. There was no denying she bore more than an uncanny resemblance to Primrose. For Hazel, it was like being greeted by a ghost.

"Now come on, let's get out of the open. Before Chickweed comes back.", she finished, before disappearing back underground.

"Chickweed is one of the hares.", added Hyfreth, as she followed.

"What are you all looking at then! Move!", shouted Bigwig. At that most of the rabbits bolted for the warren entrance. All apart from himself, Fiver and Hazel.

"She doesn't even know me...", sighed Hazel, looking distant and vague.

"It isn't Primrose Hazel.", replied Bigwig.

"Of course it's her. How could it not be!", replied Hazel.

"Follow your mind, not your heart Hazel. I'll admit she looks familiar, but smell the air. We all know Primrose's scent, and that just isn't it.", continued Bigwig.

Hazel paused before speaking.

"I know Bigwig.", he sighed.

"It just brought everything up again, didn't it.", added Fiver.

"I thought I'd be over this by now. That I'd finally accepted she was gone...", started Hazel.

"But seeing her reminded you so much of the rabbit you still miss.", finished Fiver, placing his paw on Hazel's shoulder.

"She'll always be a part of you Hazel. She's a part of us all.", he continued.

"Come on, let's get underground with the rest!", finished Hazel, forcing through a smile.

*************

Soon, underground

"...and it was this Chickweed character who did that to your face?", asked Bigwig.

By now they had spent some time underground, with Eyebright having repeated much of what Hyfreth had already told them, as well as adding some new information. Bigwig had eagerly listened, however Hazel had remained withdrawn in his own thoughts. She certainly looked like Primrose, he thought to himself, being a similar colour and size, and she seemed to have the same plucky spirit in the face of adversity. The more he studied her though, the more he began to see the differences. Her voice, although similar, was not the one of his mate, nor as Bigwig had pointed out did she have Primrose's familiar scent.

"So what do you think we should do Hazel?", asked Bigwig, turning to the chief.

"What?", replied Hazel, sounding confused.

"You haven't been listening to a word we've been saying, have you Hazel?", continued Bigwig.

"Of course I have!", replied Hazel, snapping back to reality. Coming up with ideas quickly was something he was good at. True, they weren't generally as creative as Blackberry's, but they solved most problems.

"Well, I do have one idea...", he started.

"The way I see it, the only reason they're taking control here is because they know they can. They know there aren't many rabbits here, and by stopping the formation of an effective Owsla they can keep it that way.", he continued.

"So...", added Bigwig, becoming a little impatient at Hazel delaying things. He was evidently making this up as he went along.

"So, all we have to do is make them think there's more rabbits here. Make them believe we've moved in for good. That should keep them away long enough for Primrose to begin training an Owsla to keep them away for good.", he finished. Every rabbit apart from Hazel himself seemed to notice the obvious mistake in the sentence.

"Who is this P...", started Eyebright.

"A wonderful idea Hazel. One that really sounds like it'll work.", Bigwig deliberately interrupted.

"Right then. We need to make this place look like there are hrair rabbits living here. Let's have all the does outside digging some new runs.", shouted Bigwig.

"Um... Where are we supposed to be digging to?", asked Hyfreth.

"Absolutely nowhere. You don't need to dig down very far at all, just as long as they think you're digging down.", replied Bigwig.

"As for you lot...", started Bigwig to his Owsla, before stopping suddenly.

"Huh... where's Hawkbit?", he asked.

"Oh he's off chatting with Zenthang.", replied Dandelion.

"Really! We'll see about that then!", snorted Bigwig.

Nearby, in one of the side-burrows.

"And one time, I tackled a cat all by myself.", explained Hawkbit.

"Oh right, and next you'll be telling me you're the next in line to become chief. Really Hawky, you're the funniest rabbit I know.", replied Zenthang.

Hawkbit wasn't really sure whether to take that last line as an insult or a compliment. Not that he minded either way.

"So come on then, enough about you, tell me all about your warren.", she asked eagerly.

Hawkbit was about to speak when she interrupted one more.

"The version where you aren't the new El-ahrairah!", she added, much to Hawkbit's disappointment.

"Oh, you'd love Watership Down. You can see the whole world from up on top.", started Hawkbit, as Zenthang listened in awe.

"Fiver saw the place in a dream. High, friendly hills, where the whisper carries every wind.", he continued, trying in vain to remember the standard line all the rabbits used to describe their home. Zenthang began rolling about on the floor laughing.

"Laugh at me will ya! I'll teach you!", joked Hawkbit, pinning her to the ground.

"And I suppose he's the sort who spoils everyone's fun.", sighed Zenthang, pointing behind Hawkbit.

Hawkbit turned his head to see Bigwig had silently appeared from nowhere.

"Do you plan to do your job, and go out with the rest of the Owsla anytime today?", started the grey haired captain.

Hawkbit was about to reply, however Bigwig quickly interrupted.

"I don't expect an answer to that one! Now move!", he added.

"Um... I was just... er...  practicing my fighting skills with Zenthang.", finished Hawkbit.

*************

Outside The Warren

Bigwig and Hazel waited patiently outside the entrance to the warren with Eyebright, who was pacing around nervously. It was early afternoon, and there was still no sign of Chickweed and his band of hares.

"If there's this much of a gap between their appearances, I can't see how you never managed to train an Owsla.", spoke Bigwig, quickly realising what a foolish statement it was, considering he'd spent many round moons training his own Owsla and they were still hopeless.

"We never know when they'll be here. They come and go so randomly.", replied Eyebright.

"Kehaar!", came a shrill cry from the gull, breaking up the conversation. He swooped down to the ground, where Hannah hopped off.

"They're coming Hazel. Through the long grass in that direction. From what we could make out from the sky, there are four of them.", started Hannah, pointing towards the grass.

"Everyone. Into your positions!", ordered Bigwig, before disappearing underground with Hazel, whilst several of the other does resumed digging. Kehaar took off with Hannah once more to settle in a nearby tree.

"Hehe. And then I said to them... ", came Chickweed's familiar gruff voice as he emerged from the grass.

"Hey, what's going on here!", he shouted, spotting the does at work.

"What are you all doing out here?", he continued.

"You'd better have a good reason for this. You're already lucky to be alive after letting those other does leave!", he shouted at Eyebright.

"Oh, crawl back into the bushes Chickweed. We aren't listening to anything you say anymore!", she replied. For a minute Chickweed was stunned into silence. He certainly hadn't anticipated her arguing back.

"We-ell. Look who's trying to lose an eye.", shouted Chickweed to the other 3 hares.

"Your days of bullying us are over Chickweed. We outnumber you now, hrair to one!", she continued. On cue, Hazel then appeared from the entrance.

"What's going on here then?", he asked, acting as though he had no idea who the hares were.

"Oh, let me introduce him. This is Hazel, my new mate.", she continued.

That line took Hazel by surprise. Although he had told Eyebright to adlib where she saw fit, he hadn't expected someone who he'd spent the last few hours convincing himself wasn't his mate to suddenly proclaim she was.

"er.. y... yes! A..nd you are?", he stuttered.

"This is supposed to frighten us is it? One pathetic looking buck who can't even talk properly.", snarled Chickweed.

"Get 'em lads!", shouted Bigwig, appearing in the open.

At that several of the other bucks sprung from their hiding places in the grass. Chickweed's confident face instantly changed to one of fear as he saw himself surrounded on 3 sides.

"This isn't over Eyebright!", he shouted, turning back towards the cover of the long grass.

He growled, briefly considering whether to attack. His comrades, however, didn't hesitate to leave. Eventually, he had to agree with them.

"We'll be back!", he finished, disappearing from sight.

"And if you do, there'll be plenty of us here waiting for you!", shouted Bigwig after them.

Bigwig and Hazel smiled at each other, as the rest of the rabbits broke into a quiet chuckle. Only Eyebright remained miserable.

"Do you think they really will be back?", she sighed.

"Judging by the terrified look on his face, I doubt it...", started Bigwig.

"...and even they do, by that time you'll have your own Owsla ready to fight them off.", he finished.

*************

Early Evening

All the rabbits were underground, shaded from the red glow of the early evening. Everyone had spent the day celebrating over their earlier victory, with Dandelion revelling in his traditional storyteller role with a new audience for once. Things had quietened down a little, as the Watership rabbits were now preparing to leave and begin the long trek home.

"So Holly and Pimpernel will stay behind for a few moons to help you with the training. I hope everything goes well for you, and remember if ever you need our help, you know where to find us.", smiled Hazel.

"Thank you Hazel. Thank you for everything. I wish there were more rabbits like you. Rabbits that would be so helpful to a rabbit they've never met before.", replied Eyebright.

"So are we all here?", shouted Bigwig over the top of the heated chatter.

"er... Hawkbit isn't here yet.", replied Dandelion.

"Yes I am! You aren't going to lose me that easily!", shouted Hawkbit, emerging from one of the side burrows with Zenthang.

"There's just one little thing I'd like to ask Hazel...", he continued.

"Yes?", replied Hazel, somewhat taken aback by Hawkbit's unusual politeness.

"Would you mind if Zenthang comes with us?", he finished.

"Well, does she want to? Doesn't she like it here?", replied Hazel.

"Of course she does... only she likes me more. And I like her.", replied Hawkbit.

Hazel looked confused. One thought did briefly cross his mind, but then he reminded himself this was Hawkbit.

"She's decided to be my mate.", Hawkbit finally proudly proclaimed, confirming Hazel's dismissed idea.

At that the warren fell silent. You could have heard a mouse squeak in the warren at that point, if it weren't for the fact that Hannah was silent too. Most of the rabbits just stared at Hawkbit in bewilderment. Finally Bigwig broke the silence.

"HaHa Hawkbit! You really had us going that time!", he laughed. As if on cue, the rest of the warren burst into laughter.

"What do you all have against my Hawky?", interrupted Zenthang.

Once again, the rabbits all fell silent.

"Hawky?", started Bigwig.

"By Frith's tail, I think he's serious!", he continued.

"Is it really that hard to believe?", snorted Hawkbit.

"Yes!", came a simultaneous reply from all of the Watership rabbits.

"er... come on. Let's go home!", he quickly improvised, in an attempt to break up the awkward moment. There was a mumble of agreement from several of the rabbits at that,

"I don't understand it Hazel. How come Hawkbit get's all the luck?", muttered Bigwig, as the Watership rabbits began to move towards the main run.

"Oh come on Bigwig, have a heart.", smiled Hazel.

"It's nice to see him happy for a change.", he continued.

"I suppose... just so long as he doesn't think I'm going to let him off morning patrols.", finished Bigwig.

With that the two rabbits followed the stream of others out into the evening. No one even seemed to notice the brief quiver from Bigwig as an image about lots of little Hawkbits running around the warren suddenly flashed through his mind.

THE END


Aww... *sniff* nice to see my little Hawkbit getting some luck at long last. It's only taken nearly 4 whole series. =;) I was really pushing to get this out on time, so apologies for any problems with spellings. I did still read through this, but I'm far from perfect at 11pm at night. Still, at least I didn't miss the deadline this week.

Thoughts and Opinions always welcome =:) - Guestbook / email

 

Back To Home