4th Water

Episode 4.6 - Reddown Rivalry

Disclaimers:

The Watership Down series belongs to Alltime and Decode Entertainment. The original characters were the work of Richard Adams, however, many of the characters in the series were changed, and these belong to Alltime/Decode. I am just borrowing the characters for this fansite, and I mean no-one any harm by this. I am in no way connected with any of the companies mentioned above.

This is supposed to be a fanfic fourth series, continuing on from my Virtual 3rd series, rather than continuing from the official series 3. It is in no way supposed to detract from the official third series. When I originally planned out my third series, I never knew of the existance of the official one. As it has never, and doesn't look as though it ever will be, aired in the UK, I decided to write an alternative series, continuing on from where series 2 (The Homecoming) left off. By the time I started 4th Water, I had an idea of what happens in some of the official third series, hence some of it (but not all) has been planned to try and avoid sounding too similar.

All characters are completely fictitious and any resemblance to any persons either living or dead is purely coincidental. If anyone has any problems with this episode, they are advised to contact the webmaster on [email protected].

 

Writer's notes:

Hmm... one of those episodes where I couldn't think of much of a plot beforehand, so Frith knows how it'll turn out. Never mind, next episode is one where I have a much better idea of what's going on.

Oh, and I've deliberately made sure the kittens are in the episode properly this week. We haven't seen much of them this series, and I don't want people to think they're just pointless filler rabbits. =;)


On the Down

It was an unusually quiet day, thought Hawkbit to himself as he lolloped across the Down. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky that day, nor was there even the slightest breeze. Only the sound of the birds singing could be heard. Hawkbit sighed contentedly.

"Ah, first bit of peace I've had in ages.", he muttered to himself, before settling under the shade of The Great Beech. What with all the recent battles he'd been involved in with Efrafa, Electric Fences and Honeysuckle, he couldn't remember the last time there had actually been such a quiet and serene moment. He settled down, and began to doze in the morning sun.

Of course, Hawkbit should have known better than to think anyone would allow him even a moment's rest. No sooner had his eyes closed than the quiet was broken, as Bushthorn landed on top of him.

"Oh no!", he managed to grumble to himself, before Pinecone, Periwinkle and Gillia started poking at his side

"Where did you lot come from?", he continued

"We're bored!", whined Pinecone

"Yeh, Uncle Bigwig told us you'd come play with us.", continued Periwinkle

"Did he indeed? Well, wasn't that nice of him, the moany old h...", grumbled Hawkbit

"Do you have a problem with that, my son?", came Bigwig's voice, in a threatening tone, as he suddenly appeared from nowhere.

"Bigwig!", squeaked Hawkbit in a mixture of shock and fear.

"Little ones, run along now. Hawkbit will be along to join you in a moment.", grunted Bigwig, trying to sound cheerful.

With that Pinecone, Periwinkle, Gillia, Bushthorn and Hawkbit all started to move away.

"Not you, Hawkbit!", shouted Bigwig, grabbing the grey rabbit by the scruff of his neck.

"What did I do?! What did I do?!", panted Hawkbit

"I've had just about enough of your remarks lately.", started Bigwig

Hawkbit paused for a moment, contemplating whether it would be sensible for him not to argue. Being Hawkbit though, the thought soon disappeared.

"Well what do you expect? Throwing them onto me like that. Don't I deserve a moment to rest like everyone else?", he argued back.

Bigwig mockingly pretended to think, before replying, "No! You'll do as you're told, Hawkbit!"

"You can't make me!", retorted Hawkbit, realising it was probably a very bad idea to say such a thing to Bigwig.

"Raah!!", shouted the Owsla Captain, pouncing on Hawkbit and pinning him to the ground.

"That's enough Bigwig!", shouted Hazel, appearing from the entrance to the burrow to investigate what all the noise was about. Hawkbit couldn't recall the last time he'd been so relieved to see his chief.

Bigwig stepped back resentfully, allowing Hawkbit to stand up.

"Now what's going on this time?", sighed Hazel, who was growing increasingly tired at always having to act as referee for Bigwig and Hawkbit's skirmishes.

"He won't let me have any time to myself Hazel, always ordering me to do this or that.", started Hawkbit

"And what is it he's wanting you to do this time?", asked Hazel

"Play with the youngsters for him.", replied Hawkbit, before grabbing his tail with his paw

"Look at that tail, Hazel. The fur has only just started to grow back, thanks to Bushthorn.", he continued. A worried expression had appeared on Bigwig's face by now.

"That's very interesting Hawkbit. You see, I asked Bigwig to watch over the little ones.", replied Hazel, glancing past Hawkbit to stare at Bigwig

"er..well...I..um...", stuttered Bigwig, much to Hawkbit's amusement.

"I...I... was going to Hazel. I..um... needed to...er... make sure the Owsla were up to scratch.", he continued

"But Strawberry's down at the farm Bigwig, and you were going to leave Hawkbit with the kits, so that reasoning seems a little hard to follow.", replied Hazel

Bigwig scratched his head for a moment, before replying.

"To tell you the truth Hazel, they were starting get on my nerves. You know I have a short temper, and those youngsters are constantly complaining about how bored they are.", he sighed.

"We really need to find something for them to do, Bigwig.", replied Hazel

"Do you think they're old enough to go on a patrol?", he continued, knowing that would be something Bigwig would be happy with.

Bigwig paused for a minute to think about the question.

"As long as we stick to a safe route, they should be okay. Any ideas?", replied Bigwig.

"How about if we take them down the trail towards Redstone. That can't be too dangerous.", suggested Hazel.

Bigwig nodded in agreement.

"That's settled then. We'll leave after afternoon silflay. There shouldn't be many elil out whilst Frith's still watching.", decided Hazel.

"I'll make sure everyone knows about it.", finished Bigwig, hopping away.

"And in the meantime, I'm sure Hawkbit doesn't mind taking care of the kits.", finished Hazel, smiling.

Hawkbit grumbled, and took one longing last look at his tail, before the two of them moved off in different directions.

*************

Later that day, by the Canal

It was late afternoon when the rabbits finally started towards Redstone. As well as the kittens, Bigwig and Hazel, Fiver, Pipkin, Dandelion, Gooseberry and a very reluctant Hawkbit were tagging along. The sound of rushing water could be heard as they neared the canal.

"Now stay close, and follow me quietly. Man can be often found around here.", whispered Bigwig to the kittens, as he led towards the bridge.

"But Kehaar would warn us, wouldn't he?", pointed out Bushthorn

"Hmm...", replied Bigwig, looking up at the sky where Kehaar was aimlessly drifting about.

"Always be alert... just in case Kehaar misses something!", he spoke, before muttering under his breath, "Which happens quite often.".

Hazel, who was following last, reached the bridge and sighed. Fiver turned back to join him.

"What's wrong Hazel? You haven't been looking happy all day.", he spoke gently

Hazel sighed again, before speaking.

"Redstone was Primrose's home Fiver. It's where she grew up. This is the first time we've been back there since that fateful night.", he spoke, wincing on the last few words, as they made him feel sick to the stomach.

Fiver placed his paw reassuringly on his bigger brother's shoulder.

"If you don't want to go back Hazel, I'll understand. I can tell Bigwig you had something important back at the warren.", he spoke

"No, I'll be fine!", replied Hazel defiantly. Fiver watched with concern as Hazel hurriedly crossed the bridge. Sometimes even he couldn't sense whether Hazel was telling the truth or not.

Soon...

"Hello!", shouted Hazel, taking the lead as they approached the warren. His voice echoed around the Red Stones which overshadowed the home of the former rabbits of Cowslip, their multiple shades of red and brown being picked out by the bright sunlight of the afternoon. There was no reply.

"I see their security is still a little lacking.", sighed Bigwig.

At that moment Hickory's head popped out from the entrance to the burrow, looking about frantically for the source of the noise. His face settled when he set his eyes upon Hazel.

"Oh, it's just you.", he started.

"Well don't act too disappointed, will ya!", snorted Hawkbit.

"I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry Hawkbit.", replied Hickory, as Marigold joined him.

"Hey, just ignore Hawkbit. He's always like that!", snorted Bigwig, glaring threateningly at Hawkbit.

"I'm just a bit snappy at the moment, that's all.", replied Hickory

"It's just we've been worked off our paws with the kittens at the moment. They're at that stage where they won't leave you alone for a moment.", continued Marigold

"Tell me about it!", snorted Hawkbit

At that moment, Marigold's kittens pushed past her, knocking her to the ground with a thud, before chasing each other in the open.

"What we need is something to keep them occupied...", started Hazel, thinking of ideas keeping his mind from thinking about Primrose.

"Sounds to me like he has an idea!", whispered Bigwig to Dandelion.

"A competition. Between the rabbits of Redstone and the rabbits of Watership Down.", smiled Hazel

"I think that's a great idea, Hazel. We could do with some fun.", replied Hickory

"I suppose you're right. That ought to keep the kittens busy for a while.", continued Bigwig

"I included us in that Bigwig.", pointed out Hazel, at which Bigwig looked shocked.

"What!? I don't have time for any games today Hazel.", he replied.

"Who says it has to be a game? You just said how bad you thought their security was... well, see if you can do better.", suggested Hazel.

He smiled, as Bigwig stammered to come up with an answer. On the one hand, the Owsla captain knew his own Owsla wasn't up to scratch, and was missing Strawberry. On the other, he couldn't back out of things, not after what he'd said about their defences earlier. Hazel didn't wait for the answer.

"Give me some time to think about this, and we'll meet again later.", he continued

"Until then...", he started, before realising Hawkbit had already bolted for the cover of the bushes.

*************

Later that day

"It's quite simple...", started Hazel, standing alongside Fiver as he spoke to the uncountable number of kittens from the two warrens. A myriad of eager eyes were fixed on Hazel, hanging onto his every word.

"Run to the far end of the field, where Gooseberry and Marigold are, then back again. Feel the spirit of El-ahrairah inside of you, and run like the wind!", he continued.

He stamped his foot on the ground, at which the kittens scarpered, laughing as they went.

"Is right thing to do, ask them to run?", asked Kehaar.

"Makes perfect sense to me. They love it, and it's a skill which will come in handy later in life.", replied Hazel

"Oh ya, Bigwig always say you gotta know when to fight and when to run.", squawked Kehaar.

"Speaking of which, I wonder how Bigwig's getting along with his Owsla.", pondered Hazel.

"Ya, how you supposed to judge dat if you no see what they do?", asked Kehaar

"Oh, Pipkin asked a few sparrows to keep watch over everyone before we started. They'll report back to me at the end.", finished Hazel

"Besides which. Nobody would lie with Fiver about.", he joked, at which his younger brother smiled.

Meanwhile not far away...

Bigwig lay confidently in the open, relaxing in the sun. Hickory's Owsla had to sneak up and capture the Watership Owsla, using any tricks they could devise, but without resorting to brutal fighting, as were Hazel's orders. As Bigwig lay there, Hickory crept up slowly and silently from behind. He had to try hard not to laugh at the unsuspecting captain, as he prepared to leap out and pin him to the ground.

Looking up at the calm and peaceful sky, Bigwig smiled contentedly to himself.

"Raahhh!!", shouted Hickory, leaping from the long grass

Bigwig, having already sensed Hickory's presence several minutes beforehand, quickly flipped over onto his back, just in time to throw the Redstone leader away with his powerful hind legs. Hickory landed with a thud in the grass, and before he could even gain his senses, found Bigwig pinning him to the ground.

"Look's like I win again, Hickory!", smiled Bigwig conceitedly.

Hickory grumbled, before Bigwig allowed him to stand once more.

"How do you keep doing it?", asked Hickory.

"A good Owsla chief never tells another his secrets. It's in the Owsla Code.", replied Bigwig.

Having lived such a long time at Cowslip's Warren, the Redstone rabbits couldn't remember much of the Owsla Code. Even so, Hickory couldn't recall ever having heard that passage before. He was about to say as much when they heard struggling from the long grass.

"Who's there?", asked Hickory.

At that moment, Pipkin emerged from the long grass, shortly followed by another Redstone rabbit being dragged by a large number of squirrels, mice, hedgehogs and other creatures.

"Flax, what's going on?", asked Hickory.

"Okay, I admit it he caught me. Now get these off me please!", squeaked the other rabbit.

"Well done Pipkin.", shouted Bigwig, to the proud young buck.

"Thank you everyone.", continued Pipkin, turning to the other animals, who quickly scurried away.

"So that's 2 to us now. Nobody can beat my Owsla...", started Bigwig.

"...well, perhaps Woundwort could have, but he was different.", he muttered under his breath.

Hickory glared at Bigwig in annoyance, before quickly beginning to smile.

"Oh really...", he replied, indicating towards the long grass behind them.

As they watched, Hawkbit and Dandelion were pushed out from the cover, their front legs pinned rather uncomfortably by two Redstone rabbits.

"It was all your fault, Dandelion!", shouted Hawkbit.

"No it wasn't. If you'd gone towards the tree like I said, we'd have escaped.", replied Dandelion

The Redstone rabbits pushed the two Watershippers to the ground as they met up with everyone else. After a few seconds, Dandelion began to lift his head, just enough to make out two grey paws. Despite their lack of a face, those paws screamed anger at him.

"Oh ow....", he muttered, as he lifted his head further, to greet a rather annoyed looking Bigwig.

"Seems we're now even.", smiled Hickory. Bigwig didn't reply, mainly because he feared if he opened his mouth then, it want would only be to shout at his incompetant Owsla. That was something he didn't want to admit in front of the Redstoners.

"And the judges saw everything.", he continued cheerfully, as two sparrows rose from a nearby tree and began to head back towards the warren.

Bigwig still didn't answer.

"Well, it is just supposed to be a bit of fun. Come on, let's get back to the warren.", finished Hickory, already moving off in the same direction.

"Um... Pipkin, you go along with them. We'll catch up!", replied Bigwig.

He watched as they disappeared into cover. Once into the long grass, Hickory turned to the others.

"You carry on. I want to hear this!", he smiled, remaining out of sight.

As soon as Bigwig decided the others were out of earshot, he turned back to Hawkbit and Dandelion with an enraged look in his eyes.

"Um... race you back to the Down!", squeaked Dandelion. Hawkbit nodded. As the two of them tried to run, Bigwig grabbed them by the ears.

"Not quite so fast. Can I have a word with you?", he shouted.

"Would it make any difference if we said no!", replied Hawkbit, earning him a painful cuffing.

"You're supposed to be a fully trained Owsla!", he shouted.

"We are. They.. they... just caught us off guard!", stuttered Dandelion.

"Even little Pipkin, and Hickory's band of pathetic layabout rabbits could do better than you!", continued Bigwig, unaware that Hickory could hear every word. The Redstone chief growled, before quietly continuing to follow the others.

"Now get back to Redstone. I want you up and alert for Owsla training, before Frithrise tomorrow!", he finished

"Somehow, I think Bigwig doesn't appreciate this was only a bit of fun.", whispered Hawkbit, as they started back to the warren, their proverbial tails between their legs.

*************

Back at Redstone

By now, evening was well and truly setting in across the countryside. Frith sat low on the horizon, indicating to everyone that another nightfall would soon be upon them, with all the dangers that brought for a rabbit.

"Come on then Hazel. With what those birds told you, you must've figured out who's the winner by now!", shouted Bigwig

"We're all winners Bigwig. If we can have fun, whilst improving upon the gifts given to us by Frith...", started Hazel

"...and keep the kits quiet for the time it takes Frith to cross the sky...", muttered Hawkbit

"...then none of us has lost.", finished Hazel

"Yeah right, but did my Owsla do better.", asked Bigwig

"Well, I can't see anyone who's done any better. There was no clear winner out of the youngsters, and you and Hickory did as well as each other.", replied Hazel

Bigwig looked furious at the outcome, and if he hadn't known him better, Hazel might have wondered if he was about to attack him. Instead he turned on Dandelion and Hawkbit.

"Forget what I said about early morning training, lads.", he started, at which the faces of the two bucks brightened.

"We're going to stay up all night!", he finished, to their horror.

"I say we settle who should win the traditional way.", interrupted Hazel, knowing how to please Bigwig.

"Bobstones!", he finished.

Bigwig and Dandelion smiled.

"Now there's something we're champions at!", replied Bigwig.

Soon...

"Is much exciting game, eh Hazel?", spoke Kehaar, trying in vain to whisper in order not to disturb the two rabbits playing.

"Bobstone guess...", started Bigwig, glaring at Flax. If rabbits could sweat, a torrent would probably have been pouring from the Redstone rabbit's forehead at that point. Bigwig, on the other hand, was relaxed and calm.

"..is two.", he finished triumphantly, the expression on Flax's face revealing the answer even before he had lifted his front paws to uncover the two small pebbles.

"Ha har! You see, Bobstones is a game of pure skill.", laughed Bigwig.

"Only one more round Hickory. Do you want to give up now?", he smiled

"Oh, We haven't lost yet, Bigwig.", replied Hickory cheerfully, as Bigwig turned away to choose his cast.

As everyone sat enthralled by the contest, nobody noticed the weasel quietly moving along the line of the bushes. His eyes gleaming. His mind and belly hungry for a kill.

"Bobstone guess...", started Flax. He paused, hoping Bigwig would perhaps let slip some clue. The Owsla captain, however, sat motionless, almost detached from the world.

"...is one!", he finished. Much to Bigwig's annoyance, he was correct.

"Gak!", snorted Bigwig.

"You see Bigwig. Luck plays a big part too. It's a bit like life, when you think about it.", spoke Flax.

Bigwig grunted as Flax turned to choose his final cast. Despite that loss, Bigwig only had to guess the next cast to be the overall winner.

"You're tailtagged!", shouted Gillia, growing bored and tagging Bushthorn, before running off.

"Don't stray too far now!", shouted Hazel after them.

"Bobstone guess...", started Bigwig

Once again, Flax looked nervous as Bigwig smiled teasingly at him.

"I can't watch!", squeaked Hickory, disappearing into the warren.

Bigwig was about to finish the sentence, when a chilling scream filled the air.

"Gillia!", shouted Hazel, already moving in the direction of the sound.

"Elil! Elil!", she screeched, as her and Bushthorn ran towards the group with the Weasel closely behind.

Without any hesitation, Bigwig assumed command. Not that there was much planning to be done anyway.

"Attack!", he shouted, charging towards the weasel, alongside Gooseberry, Dandelion, Hawkbit and several of the Redstone rabbits. The weasel, not being stupid, broke off it's pursuit and ran back for the cover of the bushes.

"Where in Frith's name did he come from...", panted Gooseberry, as the two youngsters ran instinctively towards Hazel.

"It's okay now, it's okay!", he spoke, trying to comfort the two kittens who had by now buried their faces in his soft brown fur.

"What just happened?", shouted Hickory, running out from the warren, after having heard all the commotion.

"I'll tell you what's wrong...", started Bigwig roughly.

"We nearly lost some of the kittens to a Frithing weasel!", he finished.

"That's terrible! Is everyone alright?", replied Hickory.

Hazel was about to reply, when Bigwig interrupted.

"We're fine now, no thanks to you!", he shouted

"Bigwig!", shouted Hazel

"No, Hazel I mean it. I thought they were getting themselves sorted out these days, what with sentries and an Owsla, but they haven't learnt a thing. This place is almost as bad a deathtrap as Cowslip's Warren!", he shouted.

The last statement shocked everyone, but none more than Hickory himself.

"I've had just about all I can take of you criticising us, Bigwig. All day we've had to put up with it!", he started, with an enraged look in his eyes.

"Now get out of my warren, and don't come back! You're not welcome here anymore!", he finished.

"Don't worry. I'm leaving!", replied Bigwig, storming off into the night.

Hazel watched Bigwig walk off in amazement. He was about to go after him when Fiver interrupted.

"I think it's best to leave him for now. You can talk to him back at the warren later.", he spoke calmly. Hazel nodded in agreement, before looking back to the other rabbits still stunned into silence.

"Um... I think that concludes the games.", he spoke.

*************

Late night, back at Watership Down

Everyone had gone back into their burrows for the night, and most of them were already fast asleep. Bigwig remained wide awake, as he sat on the edge of the Down, looking out across the fields under the night sky. He heard Hazel join him, and sighed.

"I really messed up this time, didn't I Hazel?", he started

"Don't worry about it. Hickory will be fine when once he's had the chance to calm down a bit.", replied Hazel

"I don't know Hazel. Ever since Fiver had that vision, I haven't been the same. I just haven't been able to feel we're all safe. Now everyone's suffering because of my problem.", he sighed

"Caring too much is not a problem Bigwig. It's what makes you the best Owsla captain I could ever wish to have.", replied Hazel, at which Bigwig smiled.

"And when, or rather if, whatever danger is coming arrives, I'm sure we'll all be totally safe with you about.", continued Hazel.

"Now come on, let's get back underground out of the cold!", he finished, already heading back for the entrance.

Bigwig followed, his grey fur appearing bright and silver in the moonlight. It was the exact opposite of his mind which remained clouded and grey. How he wished Fiver would be wrong, just this once.

THE END


Ooh... the next episode will be past the halfway point of the series, and yes the build-up to the finale is well under way. When that episode will be out, I don't know, what with starting at university, but hopefully it won't be too long.

Thoughts and Opinions always welcome =:) - Guestbook / email

 

Back To Home