4th Water

Episode 4.11 - The Officer

Disclaimers:

The Watership Down series belongs to Alltime and Decode Entertainment. The original characters were the work of Richard Adams, however, many of the characters in the series were changed, and these belong to Alltime/Decode. I am just borrowing the characters for this fansite, and I mean no-one any harm by this. I am in no way connected with any of the companies mentioned above.

This is supposed to be a fanfic fourth series, continuing on from my Virtual 3rd series, rather than continuing from the official series 3. It is in no way supposed to detract from the official third series. When I originally planned out my third series, I never knew of the existance of the official one. As it has never, and doesn't look as though it ever will be, aired in the UK, I decided to write an alternative series, continuing on from where series 2 (The Homecoming) left off. By the time I started 4th Water, I had an idea of what happens in some of the official third series, hence some of it (but not all) has been planned to try and avoid sounding too similar.

All characters are completely fictitious and any resemblance to any persons either living or dead is purely coincidental. If anyone has any problems with this episode, they are advised to contact the webmaster on [email protected].

 

Writer's notes:

Hmm... this episode was never in the plans originally, but was introduced after I decided to drop the original idea for episode 12 (It was just too close to one of the actual episodes of series 3 for comfort this time!).

Only a few more episodes left in the series after this one. It seems like only yesterday that I was just starting the series. =:o


On the Down

"Fiver!", shouted Hazel, emerging from the entrance to the warren that fine morning, and looking around. The Owsla were nowhere to be seen, and all the kittens were underground, arguing over who was the fastest. It left the atmosphere outside on the Down unusually calm and peaceful.

"Hello Hazel.", started Honeysuckle, approaching from the side where she had been quietly gazing out across the empty Down. Hazel stepped back, a little startled by her sudden appearance.

"Oh hello Honeysuckle.", he replied, regaining his composure.

"It's quiet today, isn't it.", he continued.

"Tell me about it. I'm bored silly. Where is everyone anyway?", she asked.

"Bigwig has the Owsla out on one of his early morning patrols.", replied Hazel.

"Ah, so we can expect him to come back in a bad mood then.", smiled Honeysuckle. Hazel had to chuckle at that, for he knew she was probably right.

"So what are you doing?", she asked.

"I was just about to go down to the farm with Fiver. You're more than welcome to come along, just as soon as we find him.", replied Hazel.

"I saw him heading off in that direction before.", she spoke, indicating towards the other side of the Down.

The two rabbits lolloped across to the other side. Sure enough, Fiver was sat a short distance down the hill, apparently admiring the view.

"Fiver!", shouted Hazel. He expected a reply, however none came. Fiver didn't move.

"Fiver?", he continued, now running towards him. As he neared him, Hazel could see Fiver shivering, his eyes glazed over.

"Ooohh!", groaned Fiver.

"What is it? Another vision?", asked Honeysuckle, catching up with Hazel.

"It sounds like it.", he replied.

"Oooh! The enemy above and the enemy below, the collapse of order is how things must go.", groaned Fiver, before collapsing to the ground.

"W... what does it mean Hazel?", started Honeysuckle.

"I don't know.", replied Hazel, looking in the direction Fiver had been staring to see if there were any clues.

"I'm sorry, but I think we'll have to cancel the farm outing.", he continued, looking back at Honeysuckle.

"It's okay Hazel.", she smiled.

"I'll help you get Fiver back to the warren.", she continued, as Fiver regained consciousness, yet still looking dazed and confused.

*************

Underground, later that morning

Hazel sat watching his younger brother with a worried look on his face. After returning to the warren, Fiver had retired to his burrow where he had promptly fallen fast asleep. As he lay there, Hazel could see him frequently twitching. Clearly his dreams remained troubled, however Hazel decided it was best to let him rest.

"Hazel!!", came a bellowing voice from outside, making the chief rabbit jump.

"Hazel!", it repeated. The voice was that of Bigwig, signalling his return.

"I've had just about all I can take from this Owsla!", he continued, his voice quieting as he met up with Hazel who had moved to The Honeycomb.

"What? What's going on?", he questioned, seeing the worried expression on Hazel's face.

"It's Fiver. He's had another vision.", started Hazel, before going on to explain the morning's events in detail.

"So what's to be done Hazel?", asked Bigwig, as the two of them walked out of the warren, leaving Fiver to rest. By now the outside was back to it's usual lively self. The kittens were playing, tormenting Hawkbit who was already looking weary from his earlier outing with Bigwig.

"I don't know Bigwig. There isn't a great lot we can do unless we know what his vision means. I've sent Kehaar out to scout the surrounding area, and the only other thing I can suggest is that you take the Owsla and see if you can find anything nearby on the ground.", replied Hazel.

Bigwig sighed and scratched the back of his head.

"That was the other thing I wanted to talk to you about.", he started.

"We need some more rabbits in the main Owsla, Hazel. Those three are useless!", he continued, deliberately talking loudly so Hawkbit, Dandelion and Strawberry could hear him. They could, but didn't act in the least bit concerned.

"I'm sure they try their best, Bigwig.", smiled Hazel.

"Their best! Do you know what they did today?", asked Bigwig.

Hazel tried to hold back a smile. He was sure whatever Bigwig was going to describe would be funny to everyone but Bigwig himself, yet he knew he couldn't laugh for fear of hurting his Owsla Captain's feelings.

"I asked them to search by the river for rabbit tracks.", he started.

"And they didn't do it?", asked Hazel.

"Oh they did it alright.", replied Bigwig, at which the 3 other bucks sniggered, quickly silencing again with a stern look from Bigwig.

"They came back and told me they'd picked up the track of a rabbit. They had me searching for ages. They'd failed to mention they were referring to Dandelion's tracks.", he grumbled.

"We did as you asked, Bigwig. We searched and found rabbit tracks! You didn't say they had to be someone elses.", smiled Hawkbit.

"We really need someone who takes the job seriously, Hazel.", sighed Bigwig.

"What about Gooseberry, Holly and Pimpernel. They're all former Owsla officers. Perhaps they can help.", suggested Hazel.

"They're supposed to be held back as warren defence for when we're out on patrol. No, we need someone new and enthusiastic.", replied Bigwig, pretending not to notice Hawkbit doing a mock imitation of Bigwig lecturing.

"Well...", started Hazel, quickly thinking on the spot.

"What about Honeysuckle?", he finished.

Hawkbit's smiling face turned to an expression of sheer horror at that suggestion.

"Hey, Honeysuckle!", shouted Hazel, to the doe who was silflaying nearby.

"Yes, Hazel?", she replied.

"How would you like to be in the Owsla.", he continued, not noticing the look of disbelief on Bigwig's face. Honeysuckle smiled in agreement.

"Can I have a word with you Hazel?", spoke Bigwig before she had a chance to reply, pulling Hazel aside.

"Have you gone insane? We can't have her in the Owsla.", he whispered.

"Why not, Bigwig? You said you needed more rabbits. She's keen enough.", replied Hazel.

"B... but she's a doe!", whispered Bigwig, wondering why Hazel seemed so relaxed about it.

"What's wrong with does?", shouted Honeysuckle, overhearing Bigwig.

"No offence intended. You're fine for digging the burrows, and defending the young ones, but when it comes to tactics and warfare, you just don't have the strength or stamina.", replied Bigwig.

"And you're telling me he does?", snarled Honeysuckle, pointing at Hawkbit who was still trembling from the suggestion of having her in the Owsla.

"Be reasonable, Bigwig! I'm sure she'll do a fine job.", added Hazel.

"This is my Owsla Hazel, and I'll run it how I like!", shouted Bigwig back.

"Come on lads!", he finished.

"Where are we going?", asked Dandelion.

"Out on patrol.", replied Bigwig in a huff.

"But...", started Dandelion.

"Now!", interrupted Bigwig.

Hazel and Honeysuckle watched as Bigwig stormed off, his 3 officers following behind quietly.

"What's his problem?", started Honeysuckle.

"You know Bigwig. Always clinging to the past.", replied Hazel.

"But lots of Owslas have does in them.", pointed out Honeysuckle.

"Bigwig just isn't used to seeing it in Owslas he's in. It never happened whilst he was captain at Sandleford, nor in the time he was growing up there. I guess it's one of those silly traditions he likes to hang on to. Change is not something which goes down well with Bigwig. Don't worry though, I'm sure he'll come to his senses eventually.", sighed Hazel, not entirely convinced himself by what he was saying.

*************

Early afternoon, at the foot of the Down

Hawkbit and Dandelion led cheerfully, whilst Strawberry followed shortly behind looking a little more worried.

"Come on Strawberry!", shouted Dandelion.

"I really think we ought to go back. Bigwig's going to be mad!", replied Strawberry.

"We did as he asked. He told us to hide, and that he didn't want to see any signs about where we were, and we have.", replied Hawkbit

"We all know he didn't mean come back here, and leave him searching.", replied Strawberry.

"Oh, it won't take him long to work it out. He's probably on his way back right now.", pointed out Dandelion.

"All the more reason for us to hurry up and get to the top.", finished Hawkbit, already beginning to ascend the hill.

Meanwhile

Bigwig sniffed at a patch of grass in the hope of finding something, yet once again found nothing. He had picked up the partial scent of Hawkbit some time earlier, but since then his 3 Owsla officers had as good as vanished. Bigwig sighed before speaking.

"Okay lads, I give in. Well done! You're finally doing as you've been told!", he shouted despondently. Bigwig didn't like to admit defeat to his Owsla, yet on this occasion he had no choice.

Of course, no reply came from the others.

"I said you can come out now!", he repeated louder.

He paused to listen for any movement. All that could be heard, however, was the gentle rustling of the leaves, and the sound of a squirrel scurrying about in a nearby tree.

"Oh, so you're trying to be clever now are you? Fine, I'll find you then.... and when I do, I'll cuff you all silly!", he shouted, grinning at the challenge.

Late afternoon

Hazel came out into the open air once more. Fiver was finally awake, and accompanied him. Outside, Blackavar and Clover were dozing under the shade of the tree, unbeknownst to Captain Broom, who continued to tell them a great tale of his life as Captain at Redstone. Hawkbit was talking to Holly, whilst Dandelion and Strawberry played with the youngsters. No-one even noticed the troubled expressions on the faces of Hazel and Fiver. Harebell and Honeysuckle were just leaving for a bit of exploration to pass the time, possibly calling in at the farm on the way, but most likely just wandering about chatting.

"...It worries me though, Hazel!", continued Fiver.

"We don't know that the last vision has been fulfilled yet. The evil that split will reunite, a new beginning yields a new fight. Now there's another.", he continued, reciting his earlier vision.

"Bigwig thinks that must have been a vision about Eyebright's warren. The evil that split, being Zenthang leaving her warren, and the new beginning being her coming here with Hawkbit.", replied Hazel.

"You don't believe that though, do you?", asked Fiver, sensing the continued apprehension in his older brother's voice.

"I don't know what to think anymore. I'm going to speak with Bigwig again when he comes back with his Owsla.", replied Hazel.

"I thought he was already back.", started Fiver.

"No, not yet.", replied Hazel.

"Well Hawkbit, Dandelion and Strawberry are back.", pointed out Fiver, indicating at the rabbits nearby.

"Strange!", muttered Hazel.

"Hawkbit, where's Bigwig? I haven't seen him.", he shouted.

"He isn't back yet?", asked Hawkbit, interrupting his conversation.

"No. Didn't he come back with you lot?", continued Hazel.

"er... not exactly.", started Hawkbit.

"We kind of came back a little earlier than we were supposed to. He's not still looking for us, surely?", continued Strawberry, as he and Dandelion joined the group.

"Oh no, he's going to kill us!", whimpered Dandelion.

"I'm sure he is Dandelion! Ask him to come and find me when he gets back. Once he's finished with you of course.", smiled Hazel.

He turned to head back to the warren with Fiver, listening to the 3 bucks blaming one another as he went.

*************

Meanwhile, by the river

Bigwig by now had resigned himself to giving up. The thought that they had gone back to the Down was more than niggling at his mind by now. He decided to take one last look at a set of overhanging rocks by a small waterfall, just the right size for concealing 3 rabbits. After that, he would call it a day.

"Are you lads hiding down there?", he shouted with a smile on his face.

As had happened so many times previously, no reply came. Nor did the scent of rabbits fearing Bigwig's wrath fill the air. He sighed one last time, before turning to head back. Just as he turned, he heard a scuffling noise from behind the rocks.

"Aha! At last!", he shouted, bounding across to them.

"I've found you!", he finished, pouncing at the rocks. To his disappointment, there was no sign of any rabbits. Instead a small rat scurried out. Suddenly one of the larger overhanging rocks began to shift. Whether that was due to Bigwig jumping on them, or due to the rat, he didn't know. He didn't have time to find out either, as he desperately tried to leap out of the way.

Luckily he managed to avoid most of it, however it still managed to catch his back leg. Bigwig yelped as a stinging sensation shot up from his hind leg, before collapsing to the ground. He turned to look at his leg, which was now bleeding. It didn't appear broken, however he couldn't move it easily without being in immense pain.

"Marvellous. Frithing Marvellous!", he muttered to himself.

"If you lot are about, I really think now would be a good time to come out. You've let your joke go on long enough!", shouted Bigwig, trying in vain to stand up.

*************

In the woodland, surrounding Efrafa

Vervain panted, as he slowed from his running to look over his shoulder. The woodland had been calm and peaceful that day, until Vervain had come crashing in.

"At last! I've lost him!", he smiled to himself.

Moss, under the orders of Campion, had been keeping a very close eye on the suspicious black rabbit all day. Vervain had to meet up with Woundwort today as ordered, otherwise.... well, he dreaded to think. After some darting about in random directions, and some kicking down of rocks and branches to stop Moss following his exact path, Vervain had finally succeeding in shaking him off his tail.

"Oh, I just hope Woundwort gives me the appreciation I deserve for all this.", muttered Vervain to himself, as he tried to orientate himself in relation to Frith.

"He'd better not just put me back in my old Captain's role.", he continued.

"Oh no, I think Supreme Captain of Owsla is in order.", he smiled.

Vervain broke into his usual maniacal laughter, before running off.

Later, by the river

Bigwig hadn't moved much in about an hour. Although his leg wasn't as bad as before, it still pained him to move it. Without support, standing up was impossible, so all he could do was lie there uncomfortably until it recovered.

"It should be fine before the moon is in the sky.", he muttered to himself, looking up at the sky.

"It had better be! I don't much fancy lieing here when the elil are about.", he continued.

"It's just a good job things are so quiet now.", he finished. Almost as soon as he'd said that, he felt his fur tingle. Sniffing the air, he picked up the scent of a fox slightly upstream.

'Oh no, that's all I need. What's she doing out in the daytime?', he thought to himself.

With that, he quietly tried to drag himself further out of sight behind the rocks. As he watched, the fox took a drink, before turning to leave. Bigwig was about to breathe a sigh of relief, when she suddenly twirled round again and began sniffing the air. She then put her nose to the ground, and began moving towards where Bigwig was hidden. He hoped she would suddenly change direction, but it was clear she knew there was a rabbit nearby, and a sick one at that.

As Bigwig watched, he felt a shiver run down his spine as she looked straight at him. She'd seen him, and began running towards him. Bigwig decided to grit his teeth, and make one daring last stand against her. He knew he wouldn't stand a chance with his leg as it was, however it couldn't make things any worse. Luckily, he didn't need to. At the last moment, something charged at the fox from the side, colliding with her just before she reached Bigwig. The fox let out a small yelp, as she was knocked sideways into the river.

Bigwig briefly watched her float away down the river, flailing her paws wildly, before turning back to the new arrival.

"Still think does are useless?", spoke a familiar rabbit.

"Honeysuckle! Oh am I glad to see you!", replied Bigwig.

"How is he?", asked Harebell, joining them from where she had been holding back in the bushes nearby.

"His leg's hurt pretty badly.", replied Honeysuckle.

"Can you stand up?", she continued to Bigwig.

"Not very well.", he replied, clumsily trying to stand on 3 legs.

"I should be fine in a little while.", he finished.

"We have to move now Bigwig. She won't be gone long and we need to get as far away from here as possible before she gets back.", replied Honeysuckle.

"You support that side, and I'll support him here.", she continued to Harebell.

"I think I owe you a big apology.", spoke Bigwig, wincing as the two does propped him up.

"We can chat about it on the way back to the Down, but now we really must get moving.", replied Honeysuckle, glancing over her shoulder, before the three of them began moving away together.

*************

Soon, back at Watership Down

"How's the leg now?", asked Hazel.

"Still hurting, but not as bad as before. It should be fine by frith-rise.", replied Bigwig, before staring at three rather sheepish looking Owsla officers.

"Bigwig. W... We're really sorry!", started Dandelion.

"Sorry? Sorry!? You just want to be thankful my leg isn't up to scratch, or I'd give you something to be sorry about!", growled Bigwig.

"We didn't mean for you to get hurt.", added Strawberry.

"That's what happens when you don't think; others get hurt! What do you think I've been trying to teach you with all these lessons?", he grumbled.

"If there's one good thing to come of this, it's that it made me realise how much better an Owsla officer Honeysuckle would make than any of you bunch of layabouts.", he growled, before looking at the doe.

"Which is why I've decided, effective immediately, she's now part of this patrol!", he finished.

Dandelion and Strawberry didn't seem too concerned about Bigwig's announcement. Hawkbit, on the other hand, looked terrified. He had long since managed to get over his phase of liking her, probably caused by the constant beatings she gave him whenever he came within 2 feet of her. Now Bigwig was advocating spending more time around her.

"Ahaha! Bigwig, are you sure that's a good idea?", he started, his voice sounding nervous.

"I mean, you have got us into a strict training routine. We'd have to go back over things if there's a new officer.", he continued.

"We have to go over things anyway, as you lot don't listen. Perhaps having a little competition around will change that.", smiled Bigwig.

"What about all that stuff about does being no good at fighting?", continued Hawkbit.

"She can fight better than you can Hawkbit. Besides, she has one important thing you seem to lack; Loyalty! Unlike you lot, she doesn't abandon her patrol!", replied Bigwig.

"But...", Hawkbit continued to protest, before he was interrupted by Honeysuckle.

"Can I cuff him sir?", she asked.

"You don't need my permission for that.", grinned Bigwig evilly.

Hawkbit squealed, before turning and running off, with Honeysuckle following closely behind. Dandelion and Strawberry slowly walked after them, laughing as they watched Hawkbit desperately trying to get away.

"Well that's one problem solved.", chuckled Hazel. His laughter quickly died away as he turned back to Bigwig with a solemn expression.

"Which just leaves us with one other...", he continued.

"Fiver's Vision!", finished Bigwig.

*************

In the woodland, near Efrafa

Vervain hopped alone through the woodland, jumping at every gust of wind, and frequently turning round to look for enemies that weren't there.

"Oh, I hate being out at this time of the day. There's more elil out when Frith goes down.", he muttered to himself, despite the fact that it was still several hours until sunset.

He slowed down as he reached an old tree bent over the trail like a wrinkled arm waiting to pick up all those who tried to pass.

"Hmm... this is the place. I'm not too early am I?", he muttered to himself, looking up at the sky for an approximation of the time. He then preceeded to sniff around the area for any signs.

"Typical! I'm always here on time, and yet that blithering id...", started Vervain.

"Vervain!", interrupted Woundwort's thundering voice, as the General appeared from behind with Cowslip and some of his rabbits.

Vervain had to lean against the tree to steady himself from the shock.

"er... I'm just checking the tree is solid and safe General. We wouldn't want it to collapse when your wonderous self was underneath it.", squeaked Vervain, desperately trying to explain away his usual cowardice.

"What were you about to say when I arrived?", growled Woundwort.

"Er...", started Vervain, fearing to make eye contact with the General.

"..I was just thinking out loud about...how...um.... Campion is never around when he's needed.", stuttered Vervain.

"Time is such a beautiful thing isn't it. It brings us nearer, yet takes us away.", added Cowslip.

Silence fell across the group at that point, as everyone briefly tried to figure out just what Cowslip was saying. As usual, they all gave in.

"So, how are you getting along with your little task?", asked Woundwort, placing a paw threateningly on Vervains left shoulder.

"er... everything is going according to plan. As it would, seeing as you came up with the idea.", Vervain laughed nervously.

"Good!", smiled Woundwort.

"You have until the next moon to complete the task Vervain.", he continued.

"Does this mean you've finally decided when to attack?", smiled Vervain.

"We attack Redstone Warren at Dawn!", started Woundwort, at which Cowslip smiled.

"Efrafa will be next.", he finished laughing.

At that, Woundwort and Cowslip turned to leave.

"G... General. Can I ask just one question?", hesitated Vervain.

Woundwort sighed and turned back to face him.

"Once Efrafa is back under your glorious rule, can I be the Supreme Captain of Owsla.", continued Vervain.

Woundwort seemed to roll his one good eye before replying.

"Well put it this way. I'll let you live!", he finished, before turning and walking away.

"Ahaha! Good one General!", laughed Vervain nervously.

"General?", he finished. Woundwort, Cowslip and the other rabbits had already disappeared into cover by then. They didn't have time to waste on answering pointless questions from the likes of Vervain, for they had a busy tomorrow ahead of them; a tomorrow which Cowslip had envisaged for a long time.

TO BE CONTINUED


Well, that was the last episode not directly concentrating on the central Efrafan plot. It's the main storyline all the way from here on in. =:) I know a lot of it was a tad predictable, but rest assured the ending to the series should be a much bigger surprise.

Thoughts and Opinions always welcome =:) - Guestbook / email

 

Back To Home