4th Water

Episode 4.14 - Underground, Overground

Disclaimers:

The Watership Down series belongs to Alltime and Decode Entertainment. The original characters were the work of Richard Adams, however, many of the characters in the series were changed, and these belong to Alltime/Decode. I am just borrowing the characters for this fansite, and I mean no-one any harm by this. I am in no way connected with any of the companies mentioned above.

This is supposed to be a fanfic fourth series, continuing on from my Virtual 3rd series, rather than continuing from the official series 3. It is in no way supposed to detract from the official third series. When I originally planned out my third series, I never knew of the existance of the official one. As it has never, and doesn't look as though it ever will be, aired in the UK, I decided to write an alternative series, continuing on from where series 2 (The Homecoming) left off. By the time I started 4th Water, I had an idea of what happens in some of the official third series, hence some of it (but not all) has been planned to try and avoid sounding too similar.

All characters are completely fictitious and any resemblance to any persons either living or dead is purely coincidental. If anyone has any problems with this episode, they are advised to contact the webmaster on [email protected].

 

Writer's notes:

Okay, the 4th Water series finale is upon us at last. It's slightly later and an episode more than everyone expected, but it's finally here.

Oh, and about the episode title. You are allowed to snigger once, and can add '...Wombling Free' to the end of it in your mind, but any other references may result in a cuffing from Bigwig. =;)


Early Next morning, just before dawn

The early birds were singing, as Frith threatened to burst over the horizon at any moment. Woundwort had both the Redstone and Efrafan rabbits assembled outside of Efrafa's main entrance. A few of them seemed to be growing impatient at having to stand around, however no-one dared say anything. They had been training most of the night under the watchful eye of Woundwort, and many of them now appeared tired and weary.

"We march on The Outsider's Warren today. They will pay for all they have done!", shouted Woundwort, finally breaking the silence.

"We won't attack Watership Down, and you can't make us Woundwort!", shouted back one of the Redstone rabbits.

"Who said that?!", growled Woundwort. He scanned the line of rabbits, however no-one would admit to questioning him.

"You will do as I tell you, or you will die!", shouted Woundwort, as Cowslip came out of Efrafa. Passing the group, he slowly hopped across to where Woundwort stood, his curly silver whiskers seeming to straighten then curl again with every movement made.

"Everything sounds delightful this morning.", he started to the General.

"The Efrafans are loyal. They won't dare question me.", started Woundwort, lowering his voice so the other Efrafans could no longer hear.

"And what about the Redstone rabbits? They are still as distant as the evening is from the dawn. Unlike those, they don't move closer.", replied Cowslip.

At that moment three of the Redstone kittens came running out of the warren, knocking Vervain to the ground as they passed him.

"You little..", started Vervain, however they had already disappeared back underground laughing cheerfully. Their youthful optimism in stark contrast to the general air of Efrafa now.

"Did you really need to bring them along with you General? I can't see what harm it would have done to leave them at Redstone. They aren't of any use to you!", started Vervain.

"We didn't want to leave anyone behind who could tell Hazel and his outsiders of our plans. Hickory and Marigold may have told them too much already.", replied Woundwort, before smiling as two of them ran out again.

"And anyway, I may have a use for them.", he continued, before grabbing one of them as she ran past. The kitten squealed as Woundwort held her up in front of the assembled rabbits.

"So the rabbits of Redstone remain loyal to the Outsiders. Do you do so at the expense of your own future?", growled Woundwort. Several gasps of panic came from those who had already worked out what Woundwort was going to say next.

"I'll make it easy for you. Obey me, and the youngsters live. Help Hazel, and I'll make sure they suffer on a long journey to the Black Rabbit of Inlé!", he finished.

"No! You can't!", shouted Flax. Woundwort dropped the kitten to the ground. She squealed, before running back to hide behind her mother.

"And who's going to stop me? Your friends at Watership Down, as you call it? They couldn't stop me in time!", laughed Woundwort. At that, two of the Redstone rabbits angrilly leapt at Woundwort. Their typical lack of fighting ability was apparent as Woundwort knocked them both to the ground, barely moving a muscle.

"You two stay at the foot of the down during the attack and guard the youngsters. If you don't get the signal from me, kill them all!", growled Woundwort to some of Efrafans.

"B...but sir..", they started, before Woundwort interrupted.

"If you want to question me, I'll happily let you suffer that same fate now!", he shouted.

"Now, everybody get back underground and get some rest. We attack when Frith is high in the sky.", shouted Woundwort, "I trust there will be no objections this time!". Everyone moved back in silence towards the Efrafan entrance, apart from Vervain, who approached the General, keeping low to the ground as usual.

"F...forgive me for asking sir, but I thought you wanted to attack at dawn.", stuttered Vervain.

"I have had time to think about that. An all out attack has failed before, so it could still fail again. Which is why I have another little job for you.", started Woundwort.

"Sir?", replied Vervain in confusion.

"Go now with a small group of our best diggers to the caverns underground the Outsider's Warren. It may have been blocked off, but I'm sure you can find another way around it if you dig enough. They found places they could dig down, so you should be able to find places to dig up. I want you through by the time we attack overland. If we attack from both sides, they won't stand a chance, even with that blasted gull.", smiled Woundwort.

"B... but sir. M... me and Moss searched that cavern for moons, and never found anything.", replied Vervain.

"Well, you'd better try harder, hadn't you!", growled Woundwort, "Unless you have a better idea!"

"er.... we c...", started Vervain.

"That wasn't a question Vervain!", shouted Woundwort.

"N... no sir! Of course not!", squeaked Vervain, already running for Efrafa's entrance.

Meanwhile, in The Honeycomb

"You're sure you want to come with us to Redstone?", asked Hazel. Despite still being before dawn, Bigwig was already outside ready to go on their second outing to Redstone in as many days, whilst Hazel talked with Fiver underground.

"Yes Hazel. I don't want to risk you two making another wasted journey.", replied Fiver.

"Hey, it wasn't wasted. If something is wrong with you, that comes first.", smiled Hazel.

"At least if I'm there, you won't need to come back to the warren.", finished Fiver.

"Are you two coming then, or aren't you?", shouted Bigwig impatiently from outside.

"Sounds like Bigwig's keen to get there.", laughed Fiver unconvincingly.

"He is now. You just wait until he gets nearer to Redstone. I think he's frightened of trying to make up with Hickory, in case something goes wrong.", smiled Hazel, before his expression suddenly changed.

"I can tell you're still frightened of something too.", he continued. Fiver sighed.

"It's that obvious is it?", he replied.

"Is it still your vision troubling you?", asked Hazel.

"No. I don't know what it is. I can't sense any danger, but something just doesn't feel right.", he replied.

"Come on then. Frith's almost out!", shouted Bigwig.

"There's only one way to find out. Come on Fiver.", finished Hazel, heading for the run.

*************

Soon, in the Caverns beneath Watership Down.

As ordered, Vervain had made his way to the blocked off passage with several of the other Efrafan officers. They had progressed no further than that however. With each passing minute, Vervain was becoming increasingly nervous.

"Still no sign of a way through. It's all solid rock, Vervain.", spoke one of the officers, running up to him.

"There must be a gap somewhere. If it were solid rock, there's no way Campion could have escaped the rock collapse.", growled Vervain angrilly.

"If we don't find a way, Woundwort will kill us.", he mumbled quietly to himself.

"We've been searching here for ages Vervain. If there was anywhere we could dig, we'd have found it by now!", added another one of the Efrafans, as more and more of them stopped their searching and joined him.

"Gah!", grumbled Vervain, angrilly kicking the infamous hanging rock that had once so nearly killed Campion. He'd failed to anticipate just how unstable the caverns were, and dived out of the way as the force of the kick caused several other rocks to collapse.

"Idiot! Now look what you've done!", squeaked Vervain with his paws over his eyes, as the dust settled.

"Look Vervain!", shouted one of the others. Vervain cautiously uncovered one eye to take a look. Where the rocks had fallen, a small gap had been cleared next to the hanging rock.

"There's soft ground beneath it. We might be able to dig through.", came a voice.

"er... Precisely! When the General asks, let us not forget who solved the problem.", replied Vervain, starting to smile.

"I suppose you all thought I brought those rocks down by accident, didn't you! It's just as well one of us has a clue what he's doing!", he continued, standing up again.

Vervain glanced around as several of the other rabbits looked back suspiciously at him.

"Well, what are you waiting for!", he shouted, "Get digging!"

Late morning, near Redstone

Bigwig, Hazel and Fiver had been travelling at a steady pace since just before dawn, and they were now finally here again. Bigwig had started to become more reluctant to approach, however it certainly wasn't as bad as Hazel had expected. Perhaps now there were two rabbits watching him, he didn't want to appear fearful of anything, thought Hazel to himself.

"Well this is as far as we got yesterday, Hazel.", started Bigwig, as they neared the edge of the field.

"Yes.", replied Hazel, before pausing to listen.

"It doesn't sound like Hawkbit is coming this time.", he continued, smiling.

"Hey, now that you mention it, I don't hear anything. There should be the sound of rabbits this close to the warren.", spoke Bigwig suddenly.

Hazel paused before replying, "You're right."

"Come on!", shouted Bigwig, running first as Hazel and Fiver followed. He stopped as soon as he left the field and entered the clearing in which Redstone stood. The warren lay empty and still. All around him faint signs of blood could be seen on the grass, albeit now faded due to the heavy rain the previous day. For a few seconds none of them spoke. It was Bigwig who made the first noise, running towards the warren entrance.

"Hickory! Marigold! Where are you!?", he shouted frantically, disappearing underground

"Everyone's gone!", continued Bigwig popping up again, as Hazel caught up with him.

"Where in Frith's name can they have gone too?", replied Hazel, as Bigwig sniffed the grass. Much to Hazel's surprise, Bigwig suddenly stumbled backwards.

"No! It... it can't be! He's dead!", he started.

"Woundwort.", continued Fiver. Without sniffing any of the grass, Fiver somehow already knew.

"But how! How could he have come back and destroyed an entire warren. It doesn't make sense!", replied Hazel.

"Oh, there were other rabbits here too. The scent is recent too.", continued Bigwig, before stopping dead.

"What? What is it Bigwig?", asked Hazel, not used to seeing so much fear on Bigwig's face in such a short space of time.

"C... Cowslip.", replied Bigwig, in a voice Hazel had never heard before; One which made him shiver.

"The evil that split will reunite, a new beginning yields a new fight! My vision, Hazel. It's all coming true!", shouted Fiver.

"B..but if Woundwort and Cowslip have been here... then where is everyone now?", asked Hazel. Without answering him, Bigwig began running.

"Where are you going?", shouted Hazel, running after him.

"Watership Down, Hazel! If the General is back, he has to be heading there!", shouted Bigwig. "I just hope we're not too late!"

Later, Below the back burrows

"Keep at it. We're almost through now. We must be right under the warren by now.", ordered Vervain, digging away clumsily, as small stones fell from the ceiling. Although nobody could actually see Frith underground, he could feel they were running out of time. Vervain paused briefly to catch his breath, and heard silence. Everyone else had stopped.

"What are you all doing!? Get back to the digging!", he shouted, turning to face the other Efrafans who were all standing watching.

"If we dig any further under that thing, the whole place is going to collapse!", replied one of the others.

Vervain looked around. The cavern walls did seem to creak with stress with small stones falling from fresh cracks in the rocks. He snapped his attention back to the others.

"The General gave us an order. It's our duty to complete it.", he shouted.

"If we follow those orders, we'll all be killed.", replied the other buck, "No, we're going round to join him overland."

"Y...you can't do that! It's against the General's wishes!", shouted Vervain. Just then a large rock shifted, bringing a cloud of dust down with it.

"Come on, let's get out of here!", shouted another of the group. They all turned to run, apart from Vervain.

"If you won't do as you're told, I'll do it myself!", he shouted, beginning to dig once more.

"Don't say we didn't warn you!", came the reply as the others ran off.

"They're all wrong. The General is right. Oh, he'll thank me for this.", laughed Vervain to himself. He frantically kicked dirt away, as another rock shifted.

Watership Down

Hazel and Bigwig charged into the Honeycomb, almost knocking Hawkbit out of the way as they did so, whilst Fiver followed shortly behind. Although by now Frith was high in the sky, they had certainly made good time in getting back to the warren.

"Everybody!", shouted Hazel, gasping for breath, "Emergency gathering! Move!!"

"What? What's going on?", asked Hawkbit.

"Kehaar, Hannah. We may be under attack at any moment. I want you to fly from here to Efrafa. Warn Campion about this, and look out for any sign of danger on the way.", started Hazel, as other rabbits already began appearing in the Honeycomb to find out what all the fuss was about.

"What kind of danger?", asked Hannah.

"Woundwort! He's still alive!", shouted Bigwig.

"You're not serious?", started Hawkbit.

"He is serious.", added Dandelion, knowing that rarely seen expression on Bigwig's face only too well.

"B...but we saw him die on the waterfall wi...", started Hawkbit, before sensibly deciding to cut his sentence short to avoid upsetting Hazel.

"We go now, ya!", shouted Kehaar, moving before Hannah had properly settled on his back.

"If they attack the warren, it's most likely they'll come through the main entrance and into The Honeycomb. Holly, Pimpernel. You'll be with me. We'll be stationed along the run, responsible for the first line of defence...", started Bigwig, not hesitating to assume command of the situation. He was suddenly interrupted by Fiver.

"Ooohhhh!", he groaned.

"Oh great, that's all we need.", sighed Bigwig.

"Wait Bigwig. He might know something which will help us.", replied Hazel.

"The danger and darkness comes from below, a traitors end he'll henceforth go.", groaned Fiver, before collapsing to the ground.

"What does it mean?", asked Bigwig.

"The back burrows Hazel! There are strange noises coming from the back burrows!", shouted Blackavar, interrupting them as he ran into the Honeycomb.

"What?!", shouted Hazel, already heading in Blackavar's direction alongside Bigwig.

Outside, on the Down

Hannah frantically tried to steady herself on Kehaar's back, as the gull took off, flattening the surrounding grass with the downdraft from his wings.

"Steady on Kehaar.", she started.

"Sorry, Hanyah. I go fast when Hazel say.", replied Kehaar, soaring upwards.

"Not too high now. We want to fly low through the woodland so we can see Woundwort if he's coming.", said Hannah. She almost wished she hadn't has Kehaar nosedived again, forcing her to cling on frantically. He broke out of the dive a few feet from the ground, hovering above the grass.

"You did that on purpose.", snorted Hannah, trying to catch her breath.

"I no...", started Kehaar, looking over his shoulder, before Hannah interrupted.

"Look out!", she screeched.

Kehaar flitted his eyes back in front, and could see why. Along the edge of the forest was Woundwort and his army. Seeing the gull approaching, Woundwort had stood up on his hind legs. Instinctively, Kehaar pulled up at the last minute, narrowly avoiding the General jumping at him.

"The Efrafans. They're all here!", shouted Hannah, clinging tightly to his feathers.

"And is ugly Cowsleep too. Is bad!", continued Kehaar, spying the curly-whiskered rabbit.

"Just what does it take to get rid of those rabbits.", sighed Hannah. "Get us back to the Down quickly!", she continued.

Kehaar circled round to head back towards the Down, but not before making another dive at Woundwort.

"Blasted gull!", growled Woundwort, swiping at him again. Kehaar looked back to laugh, however failed to anticipate Mudwort springing up in front of him. Although the large Efrafan buck didn't manage to get a direct shot at Kehaar, he did manage to catch the gull's leg, knocking him off course! With a painful whack, he smashed into the trunk of a nearby tree, before collapsing onto one of the large branches.

"Kehaaaaaaar!", he screeched, making several of the nearest bucks wince.

Woundwort chuckled. "It looks like your luck just ran out, gull!", he shouted.

He was about to speak again, when they were interrupted by the sound of someone running through the woodland.

"You? What are you doing here?!", shouted Woundwort, as the familiar sight of the Efrafans sent to dig from underneath the warren appeared.

"There was no way through sir!", started one of the bucks timidly.

"I gave you one simple order, and you couldn't even follow it. You aren't fit to live, never mind be in my Owsla!", shouted Woundwort.

"N..no sir! Sorry sir!", stuttered one of the others, "B..but by the sound of it, those caverns are going to collapse anyway."

Woundwort half smiled.

"Really? That's something anyway.", he started, "Where's Vervain?"

"He wouldn't come!", came the reply. Woundwort paused briefly to think.

"Pah, I don't have time to waste on him now. Come on! Hazel, Bigwig and Fiver were in a hurry to get back to the warren, and now they're sending that bird out. Obviously they know we're coming!", he finished, beginning to run. All the other rabbits, apart from the few ordered to stay with the youngsters, followed.

"Aren't you coming Cowslip?", asked Woundwort, noticing Cowslip's hesitation, "I thought you'd want to be there at out moment of glory."

"Oh, I'll come halfway, but I see no need to go any further into the wind, until the storm has settled. I am a plotter not a fighter, as you well know.", replied Cowslip, starting to run alongside him.

"Kehaar? Are you okay?", asked Hannah, crawling out from where Kehaar lay in a heap on the branch. Kehaar lifted his wing painfully.

"Oh, is hurt wing pretty bad!", he replied.

"You go back. Must warn Hazel and Bigwig.", he continued.

"There isn't time!", replied Hannah, looking out as Woundwort arrived at the foot of the Down.

"Frith protect us all!", she finished.

The Back Burrows, Watership Down

"There Hazel!", started Blackavar, pointing.

"Odd... It sounds like the rocks in the cavern are shifting.", replied Hazel, twitching his ears at the strange noises all around him.

Bigwig interrupted. "Yeah, not meaning to sound too rude or anything chums, but don't we have bigger problems to be worrying about?", he said.

"What if they aren't attacking overland. What if they're coming up through the caverns again? It seems odd it would start to move now.", replied Hazel.

"Woundwort knows how to find Watership Down by land, Hazel. He isn't going to waste time with that blocked off passage.", pointed out Bigwig.

"It would match Fiver's visions.", replied Hazel.

"So what do you suggest we do then?", asked Bigwig. Before Hazel had a chance to reply, he was interrupted by a chilling scream from nearby. The two of them ran back into The Honeycomb, just in time to see Holly thrown backwards from the main run. The two of them froze in silence as the figure of Woundwort filled the entrance to the Honeycomb.

"Attack!!", he shouted leaping forward. Rabbit after rabbit burst into the warren after him.

"We're sorry! We're so, so sorry!", sighed one of the rabbits they knew to be from Redstone, before he launched himself at Dandelion.

"Oh no you don't!", replied Dandelion, knocking the pathetic fighting rabbit to the ground. He didn't have time to bask in self-glory, as one of the properly trained Efrafans jumped at him next. He wasn't alone, as all around him the Watershippers were finding themselves under attack by the Efrafans.

Underground

"Oh, I hope I'm not too late!", mumbled Vervain to himself, as he continued to dig, oblivious to the small rocks and debris falling all around him.

"We would have been through by now if it weren't for that bunch of backclawing idiots.", he continued, before smiling.

"Never mind. When the General finds out how loyal I've been, he'll make sure I'm well rewarded. I'll be the most favoured rabbit in all of Efrafa!", he shouted. Vervain stopped to let out his manic laugh. As he did so, the walls began to shake, and a loud rumbling sound could be heard.

"N... no! This isn't right.", he shouted, diving out of the way as a large rock fell nearby.

The Honeycomb

It hadn't taken the Efrafans long to fill the warren. The Redstoners, although sticking to Woundwort's orders for the sake of their children, were little more than a useless distraction.

"Where is your great chief now? Where is Hazel?", shouted Woundwort, not noticing Bigwig and Hazel across the other side of The Honeycomb.

"There are too many!", whined Hawkbit, two of the Efrafans pinning him to the ground. As he closed his eyes expecting a nasty blow, he suddenly felt something forcefully knock the two rabbits away. They whimpered. Hawkbit opened one eye just in time to see Honeysuckle send one of them slamming into the wall with a well-aimed kick!

"It... it's some kind of super-doe!", whimpered one of the other Efrafan bucks, as she headbutted Hawkbit's other attacker.

"Bigwig!", Woundwort growled, finally fixing his eyes on the captain stood next to Hazel. Everyone fell silent and seemed to freeze as Woundwort slowly moved towards Hazel and Bigwig.

"I have waited for this moment for a long time! The time when I can finally send you to the Black Rabbit where you belong. Where all traitors belong!", he shouted.

"There's only one rabbit who'll be seeing the Black Rabbit today General, and it ain't going to be me!", replied Bigwig. He prepared to attack, however Hazel placed his paw in front of him.

"Wait Bigwig.", he said.

"Wait? Wait? Are you stark raving mad?!", shouted Bigwig, almost foaming at the mouth. Despite his anger, he did still listen to Hazel's orders.

"Why are you doing this Woundwort? Haven't we all suffered enough?", asked Hazel.

"You have been a threat to the glory of Efrafa long enough!", growled Woundwort. He continued to advance, as Hazel and Bigwig slowly stepped back.

"We posed no threat to you. There's more to this than you're letting on!", continued Hazel.

"Look I've had enough of this! Why don't you take your lot and clear out! You aren't wanted here.", shouted Bigwig.

Much to Bigwig's surprise, Woundwort suddenly stopped. Something about those words seemed to prick at the back of his mind.

"Hmm... he wants you out too, eh?", replied Bigwig.

Woundwort looked confused. Something didn't seem quite right about what Bigwig was saying.

"We all want you out!", chimed in Campion.

Woundwort shook his head, snapping himself back to reality.

"Die!!", he shouted. Hazel instinctively jumped backwards, into the run of the back burrow, as Woundwort collided with Bigwig. They crashed to the ground sending an echo through the warren. Strangely though, the echo didn't disappear, soon building up to a loud rumble!

"Run!", shouted Hazel, "This whole section is going to collapse!"

The words had barely left Hazel's mouth as he found the rocks below his feet collapse.

As if expecting this, Woundwort jumped off Bigwig. Bigwig slowly lifted his head, to see Woundwort's hind leg.

"This time it's your turn to visit the Black Rabbit, Bigwig!", growled Woundwort, before sending the Owsla captain backwards with a powerful kick, narrowly missing the cowering Vervain.

"Hazel is right. This whole place is going to collapse! It looks like the plan went a little too well.", continued Woundwort, looking at the earth collapsing all around.

"Sire... help me!!", shouted Vervain, crawling to try and climb what was left of the slope up to the back burrows. Woundwort glanced briefly at Vervain who was within reach, before continuing to speak.

"Everyone pull back into their grand chamber!", shouted Woundwort, stepping backwards towards the Honeycomb.

"What about Vervain?", asked Mudwort, looking over the General's shoulder.

Woundwort paused to look at the unstable trail between himself and the cowardly black rabbit. His response shocked all who heard it, but none moreso than Vervain.

"Leave him! He's of no more use to me now!"

The shape of Woundwort disappearing into the main warren was the last thing Vervain saw, before the entire area surrounding himself, Bigwig and Hazel collapsed into the depths below. Woundwort turned to stare at the rubble which had replaced the run to the back burrow. As the sound of the collapsing back burrows setlled, he slowly turned back to look over the now silenced Honeycomb. His voice was slow and thundering as he spoke, designed to send shivers up the spine of every rabbit there.

"Watership Down is mine!"

TO BE CONTINUED


And that's where series 4 finishes. The storyline continues further though in 5th Water, now online. =:)

Thoughts and Opinions always welcome =:) - Guestbook / email

 

Back To Home