4th Water

Episode 4.12 - Redstone Phase

Disclaimers:

The Watership Down series belongs to Alltime and Decode Entertainment. The original characters were the work of Richard Adams, however, many of the characters in the series were changed, and these belong to Alltime/Decode. I am just borrowing the characters for this fansite, and I mean no-one any harm by this. I am in no way connected with any of the companies mentioned above.

This is supposed to be a fanfic fourth series, continuing on from my Virtual 3rd series, rather than continuing from the official series 3. It is in no way supposed to detract from the official third series. When I originally planned out my third series, I never knew of the existance of the official one. As it has never, and doesn't look as though it ever will be, aired in the UK, I decided to write an alternative series, continuing on from where series 2 (The Homecoming) left off. By the time I started 4th Water, I had an idea of what happens in some of the official third series, hence some of it (but not all) has been planned to try and avoid sounding too similar.

All characters are completely fictitious and any resemblance to any persons either living or dead is purely coincidental. If anyone has any problems with this episode, they are advised to contact the webmaster on [email protected].

 

Writer's notes:

Sorry I'm late with this episode. It wasn't because I was particularly busy this week. No, the reason for the delay was down to me wanting to get the best I could out of the plot I'd developed. One scene was particularly difficult to write. Anyway, hopefully it was worth the wait. =:)

Now I just need to figure out how I can top this for the rest of the series. =:o


Previously on Watership Down

"What just happened?", shouted Hickory, running out from the warren, after having heard all the commotion.

"I'll tell you what's wrong...", started Bigwig roughly.

"We nearly lost some of the kittens to a Frithing weasel!", he finished.

"That's terrible! Is everyone alright?", replied Hickory.

Hazel was about to reply, when Bigwig interrupted.

"We're fine now, no thanks to you!", he shouted

"Bigwig!", shouted Hazel

"No, Hazel I mean it. I thought they were getting themselves sorted out these days, what with sentries and an Owsla, but they haven't learnt a thing. This place is almost as bad a deathtrap as Cowslip's Warren!", he shouted.

The last statement shocked everyone, but none more than Hickory himself.

"I've had just about all I can take of you criticising us, Bigwig. All day we've had to put up with it!", he started, with an enraged look in his eyes.

"Now get out of my warren, and don't come back! You're not welcome here anymore!", he finished.

*************

"So, how are you getting along with your little task?", asked Woundwort, placing a paw threateningly on Vervains left shoulder.

"er... everything is going according to plan. As it would, seeing as you came up with the idea.", Vervain laughed nervously.

"Good!", smiled Woundwort.

"You have until the next moon to complete the task Vervain.", he continued.

"Does this mean you've finally decided when to attack?", smiled Vervain.

"We attack Redstone Warren at Dawn!", started Woundwort, at which Cowslip smiled.

"Efrafa will be next.", he finished laughing.


Some scrapes, in the Woodland a short distance from Redstone Warren

Frith made his first appearance above the horizon, heralding the coming of a new dawn. His rays shattered as they passed through the trees, yet somehow his light still seemed to penetrate through to every area in the forest, even down into the shallow scrapes the rabbits of Cowslip had dug. The only place it couldn't reach was where Woundwort lay, for he remained forever encased in a circle of darkness. He wretched uncomfortably. His dreams echoed the darkness, troubling him, and yet he couldn't explain why.

"I've heard it said that the Chief of Efrafa is a leader of warriors.", started Bigwig, as Woundwort stood on his platform in Efrafa, surveying the hlessi rabbit brought in by Captain Campion.

"Yes. And...?", questioned Woundwort.

"I am a wanderer and a warrior looking for a chief who will appreciate my talents.", continued Bigwig confidently.

"Where do you come from wanderer?", asked Woundwort.

"Sandleford Warren. A long journey sir, on the path of the setting sun. It lies in ruins now. Destroyed by man.", replied Bigwig.

"Man!", growled Woundwort, "May Frith burn the flesh from his bones.".

"Hmm... he wants you out too, eh?", replied Bigwig.

Woundwort looked confused. Something didn't seem quite right about what Bigwig was saying.

"We all want you out!", chimed in Campion.

Woundwort looked at Campion even more confused than before.

"Y...yes sire! Out!", stuttered Vervain from where he lay cowering on the floor. Woundwort considered looking at Vervain, but decided that one must have been his imagination, as Vervain wouldn't dare talk back to him.

"Still here? You're too slow, sir!", shouted Bigwig, lunging at him, managing to jump from ground level to Woundwort's platform in one leap. Woundwort tried to move to fend off the attack., yet was unable to. Bigwig sank his teeth into Woundwort's shoulder. Although blood ran from the wound, the General could feel no pain. It was almost as if his body wasn't his own anymore.

"Woundwort, Sir!?", came another voice.

At that moment, Woundwort suddenly found himself able to move once more. Without hesitating, he leapt, pinning the other rabbit to the ground.

"You will die!", he shouted, preparing to strike the small buck held down under his weight.

"Please sir, I only wanted to tell you that Frith is appearing in the sky.", whimpered the other rabbit.

Woundwort stepped back and looked around him. The interior scene of Efrafa had faded away to leave him in the familiar surroundings of the forest.

"The noise this morning sounds excited and delighted. Almost like honey to bees, if only they could hear it.", came the usual cryptic comment from Cowslip, as he came into the open to see what all the noise was about.

Woundwort paused for a second to regain his senses, before jumping back to the task at hand.

"Is everyone up?", he started.

"Yes sir. Ready and awaiting your guidance.", replied the small buck, standing up again.

"Good.", smiled Woundwort.

"We move as soon as morning silflay is over.", he finished.

*************

Meanwhile, outside on the Down

Bigwig sniffed around suspiciously at several patches of grass, before sighing to himself. Hazel could tell something was worrying him, mainly due to the fact that Bigwig hadn't even noticed the brown rabbit appear at the warren entrance. Normally Bigwig didn't even have to look to know another rabbit was there.

"Bigwig?", started Hazel.

Bigwig swung round, startled by Hazel's voice.

"What are you doing up this early?", asked Bigwig.

"I came to find out what's up with you.", smiled Hazel.

"Oh, just out exercising the leg.", replied Bigwig, stretching his leg. A few hours of sleep had finished off the recovery and, apart from a small graze, his leg was as good as new. Hazel didn't speak, but instead looked at Bigwig totally unconvinced by the captain's answer.

Bigwig sighed, before looking around again.

"I just... I just woke with a funny feeling.", he continued, looking nervous.

"What sort of feeling?", asked Hazel.

"I'm not sure, but something doesn't feel right today.", continued Bigwig suspiciously.

"Oh, I'm just being silly Hazel!", he finished, heading back for the entrance, however Hazel stood in his path.

"I know you Bigwig. You wouldn't be out here unless your instincts were strong. What with that, and Fiver's latest vision, I think it's worth checking out.", replied Hazel.

"But where? I've already searched the Down three times, and found nothing.", sighed Bigwig.

"Too bad we can't even go and speak to the rabbits at Redstone now, after they abandoned us. All thanks to me.", he continued.

"They haven't abandoned us, Bigwig!", replied Hazel.

"Not one of their rabbits has been here for moons now. No, we're never likely to hear from them again, and it's all my fault.", continued Bigwig.

"We're all still friends Bigwig. Hickory just needed some time to calm down. I'm sure he feels just as sorry as you now.", spoke Hazel.

"Do you really think so?", questioned Bigwig, with just the faintest glimmer of sparkling from his eyes.

"I'm sure of it. In fact, after morning silflay, we'll pay them a visit. It's about time we put this behind us.", finished Hazel.

*************

Just outside Redstone warren, later that morning

Marigold emerged from the tall dark stones which made up the entrance to Redstone Warren. Several rabbits were above ground by now, either eating or playing under the early morning sun. One of those was Hickory, who was worriedly chewing at the grass.

"There you are!", started Marigold.

"Oh morning Marigold. You look worried.", replied Hickory.

"When I wake and find you aren't there I worry.", she replied.

"I suppose it's a leftover from the day's of Cowslip's Warren. Every time a rabbit disappeared there, you never knew if they would come back.", she sighed miserably.

"Hey, don't worry about it.", replied Hickory.

"Those days are long gone Marigold. We're together here, with a new life at Redstone. Whatever happens from now on, I'll always be by your side. I promise you that!", he continued, snuggling up to her. Marigold smiled contentedly for a few seconds, before looking around her.

"We're really lucky to be here you know. Redstone is such a safe place.", she continued.

"Hmm...", replied Hickory, suddenly sounding more distant.

"Is there something wrong?", asked Marigold.

"I'd feel much safer if I knew where the scouts were. They should have been back by now, unless something is wrong.", replied Hickory.

"Oh you know what they're like for dawdling.", smiled Marigold, trying to make light of the situation.

"You're probably right.", replied Hickory.

"I know. Why don't we head towards Man's water trail? We might find them along the way.", suggested Marigold cheerfully. She was about to continue, when Hickory interrupted.

"Shh...", he started, "Someone's coming".

They both fell silent. Sure enough, the sound of someone coming through the bushes at a high speed could be heard.

"He's coming Hickory! He's coming!!", panted a rabbit, bursting from cover and running up to them. His face was scratched, and his fur damaged from relentlessly dashing through the brambles, yet he seemed oblivious to any pain.

"Who, Flax? Who is!?", replied Hickory.

"Woundwort! It's Woundwort! He's coming for us!", spluttered Flax frantically, as the other rabbits in the opening gathered round to see what the fuss was about.

"That's impossible! Woundwort stopped running a long time ago. You know the story.", replied Hickory, trying to convince himself of the fact, however the fear in Flax's voice had already let him know deep down that the General was alive.

"He isn't dead, Hickory. I wish he were. He has other rabbits, and he's coming for us!"

"What'll we do Hickory?", asked one of the other rabbits.

"He's going to attack. He's going to kill us all!", added another.

"Now everyone just calm down! We have plenty of time. Remember, he doesn't know there are rabbits here. He thinks we were all killed by the badger.", spoke Hickory, trying to calm down the frantic rabbits.

"Oh, he knows Hickory. Right before he attacked the patrol, I heard one of them shout 'Redstoners'. I never saw the rabbit, but the voice sounded so familiar.", panted Flax.

"We must get Hazel's help.", suggested Marigold.

"What and have Bigwig think we can't fight them off ourselves?", replied Hickory.

"But we can't Hickory!!", she screeched back at him. Hickory sighed, for he knew she was right.

"I know, you're right.", he started, trying to formulate a plan quickly.

"You and you. I don't care how you do it, but you have to keep them away from the warren for as long as possible. Leave false trails, anything! We just need some extra time.", he continued, talking to the group of rabbits.

"Marigold, you come with me. We'll go and find Hazel. As for the rest of you, Flax, you take command. If the worst happens and they do arrive, do whatever you can to keep them out of the warren!", he finished. Flax nodded, before everyone quickly dispersed as ordered. Two of the rabbits headed in the direction of the back of the warren, whilst the rest darted for the cover of the red rocks. Hickory and Marigold meanwhile headed for the edge of the valley, with Hickory leading. As they were about to enter the cover of the bushes, a large black rabbit suddenly leapt out, knocking Hickory to the ground.

"Oh, don't leave Hickory. I've so been looking forward to meeting you after all this time.", came a voice.

"W... Woundwort!", stuttered Hickory, as the great bulk of the General towered over him. He quickly turned his head, just in time to see the other Redstoners being intercepted by other rabbits before they got back to the warren entrance. Woundwort placed a heavy paw on Hickory before the Redstone chief had a chance to stand up.

"Run, Marigold, Run!!", he shouted. Marigold glanced around frantically, before bolting for cover in the first direction she could see. She did briefly register it was the wrong direction for heading towards Watership Down, or even Efrafa, however she was aware of another rabbit pursuing her; a rabbit full of hatred for her. On the basis of that, she kept running in the same direction, crashing through branches and bushes as she went.

*************

Meanwhile, in the woodland not too far away

Bigwig and Hazel were making good time, and were by now well on their way to Redstone. Despite his earlier enthusiasm, Bigwig had now become much more reluctant, a fact which Hazel hadn't failed to pick up on.

"Is something wrong, Bigwig?", asked Hazel.

"I just can't help we should have sent Kehaar ahead first. Warned them we were on our way.", replied Bigwig.

"I thought about it, but if we'd waited any longer, you might have changed your mind. I really think it's about time we sorted out this mess. You and Hickory can't stay mad at one another forever.", pointed out Hazel. Bigwig tried not to look guilty as Hazel spoke, for he knew the chief was most probably right.

"Besides. It'll give me a chance to see if their security is up to scratch. How close will we be before they notice us?", smiled Bigwig.

"Bigwig...", scolded Hazel.

"Oh, I was just kidding Hazel.", laughed Bigwig, before hanging his head.

"For all they may have a sloppy Owsla, Hickory does a good job keeping that warren safe. Considering all the respect it seems to earn him, I sometimes wonder if I should try it.", he continued.

"If you suddenly started acting like that, I think Hawkbit would be so confused he'd leave the warren.", replied Hazel. The two of them laughed together as they continued towards the warren, unaware of the events unfolding there.

*************

In the opposite direction

Marigold ran blindly on through the trees, ignoring the cuts and scrapes appearing on her body, and making no effort to cover her tracks. The only sense she kept open was her hearing, listening out for any signs that she had lost her pursuer. Using that, she knew he or she was still close behind. This other rabbit was strange though. Judging by the sounds of things, it was a large and clumsy rabbit not used to running, and yet somehow they seemed to keep up with her.

Just then the sound of the running behind her began to fade. The other rabbit was tiring! She only had to keep running a little longer and she would b... something interrupted her train of thought. Indeed it halted her completely. With a snap, a horrifying sensation shot through her body, originating at the neck, and spreading like wildfire through her spine. She dropped to the ground, her eyesight instantly blurring, as blood filled her throat.

After a few seconds her senses began to clear again, even though she remained in agony. This pain in her neck... she had never felt it before, and yet she already knew what it was.

"Welcome home Marigold. I knew you'd come back.", started Cowslip's voice, cold and hard as he walked up to where Marigold lay. "You're just in time for us to sing a new song. One of many seasons in the sun and snow and wind and..."

"You... it can't be.", choked Marigold. She could barely move, however her eyes could make out a burnt landscape. Although clearly it had been a long time since the fire had destroyed whatever landscape there was, nothing had regrown since. Large parts of the area remained devoid of life, echoing the lack of life in the adjacent warren which lay in ruins now.

"No... this place... it... it cant... be here. Your warren... it's long... gone!", she croaked through the blood in her throat, her strength quickly seeping from her. Cowslip paused before replying coldly.

"No Marigold. The Flayrah was gone. The rabbits were gone. The warren was gone. Even man may have gone. But the Shining Wires remain for all time and throughout all seasons. Now you can remain with them.", he spoke, smiling sickly as Marigold made a vain attempt to stand up.

"You... can't.... just...l...leave it... like this.", choked Marigold, desperately struggling for breath.

"Sweet dreams, Marigold. Tomorrow is a world away, and there's only one rabbit waiting to welcome you.", he finished callously, before walking off to leave Marigold to suffer her final moments alone.

*************

Soon, back at Redstone Warren

Woundwort batted another Redstone rabbit away with one swipe from his left paw, whilst keeping Hickory pinned down with the right. He could have killed Hickory there and then. If he killed the chief of the warren, there was a good chance most of the other rabbits would simply give up. Woundwort, however, was deliberately prolonging things. Watching the rabbits attack one another gave him a warped sense of pleasure.

"Sir, they outnumber us greatly!", panted one of the other bucks approaching Woundwort.

"Does it really matter? This lot are hopeless anyway.", replied Woundwort. The reasons for his lack of concern were obvious. Although there were fewer than 10 in his army, each of them could fend off at least 3 of the Redstoners with barely a scratch on themselves. Clearly, Hickory's rabbits couldn't fight to save their lives.

Woundwort sighed.

"Which makes me wonder how Cowslip can possibly think they're going to be any good in a fight to retake Efrafa."

"Isn't it as obvious as the clouds in the sky General.", came Cowslip's voice, as he returned from his other business, barely out of breath from running.

"You... you're alive!", shouted Hickory. Cowslip looked down at the Redstone chief and couldn't help but smile.

"What else would I be?", replied Cowslip.

"I should have known Woundwort wouldn't have attacked here without someone helping him.", Hickory growled.

"Enough!!", shouted Woundwort, before looking back at Cowslip.

"Now, about how these rabbits are supposed to help..."

"They don't have to do any fighting. My own rabbits can do that, with all the training you have given.", replied Cowslip, "No, these rabbits are there as a distraction and nothing more. Like the scent of the wildflowers attract the insects to them, with ne'er a thought given to their future."

"You wont get away with this!", growled Hickory.

"Marigold will bring back help!", he continued.

"My dear, dear Hickory, I have a feeling Marigold shan't be bringing anything for a long time.", smiled Cowslip, in an unusual break with his policy of never mentioning the victims of the wires.

"Nooo!", shouted Hickory. Although he didn't know what Cowslip was referring to, something about Cowslip's voice hinted it was something horrible. With an unexpected burst of strength, Hickory pushed Woundwort off him, before bolting in the direction Marigold had gone earlier. One of the other bucks was about to follow him, when Woundwort interrupted.

"Leave him! Let the coward run!", he shouted.

"But sir, what if he manages to get help?", asked the buck.

"Even if he does, it'd be too late by now.", smiled Woundwort.

*************

Near to Redstone

"We're nearly there now Bigwig.", started Hazel, as the two of them continued through a field of long grass.

Bigwig continued to look nervous.

"Will you speak to Hickory first?", he asked. For all Bigwig was tough and strong when it came to fighting or defence, he had his weaknesses when it came to talking to others.

Hazel smiled and nodded.

"We should be able to see the warren when we reach the top of the next hill.", he went on, indicating at the hill up ahead.

Just then Bigwig put his paw in front of Hazel to stop them.

"Wait... do you hear something?", he asked. The two of them fell silent to listen.

"Someone's coming through the grass! Hide!", whispered Bigwig, readying himself to fight whatever it was. Despite that, he was still caught off guard. A small grey buck charged straight into him, knocking him to the ground.

"Bigwig!", came the familiar voice from the dazed rabbit, as he tried to regain his balance.

"Hawkbit? What are you doing here?", asked Bigwig.

"It... it's Fiver!", panted Hawkbit.

"What?! What's happened to him?", shouted Hazel frantically.

"He's had another one of those strange dreams. He's kicking and wailing terribly, as though caught in a snare.", panted Hawkbit.

"You've got to come back now Hazel. He needs you there.".

"Thank you Hawkbit. Bigwig, you carry on with him to Redstone. I'll go back.", shouted Hazel, already turning to run.

"Not a chance! If there's trouble back at Watership Down, I have to be there.", replied Bigwig.

Hazel sighed. He didn't like the idea of the feud between Bigwig and Hickory dragging on any longer, but this was an emergency.

"Fine. We'll come back tomorrow to sort this all out.", decided Hazel, as he began to pick up speed.

"I'm sure one day won't make any difference.", finished Bigwig, running alongside him. Hawkbit groaned as he desperately tried to keep up with the other two. Obviously no-one seemed to realise he'd just had to run all the way there.

*************

On the other side of the hill

"Sir, if we keep this up much longer, the rabbits from this warren will be too tired to do anything.", spoke one of the does from Cowslip's group, running up to Woundwort.

"Are you questioning my judgement?", growled Woundwort in reply.

"N..no sir. I was jus..."

"Never mind.", interrupted Woundwort, dismissing her.

"Enough!", he shouted, at the top of his voice. The authoritative tone instantly brought both his own and the Redstone rabbits to a standstill.

"You fools! Can't you see it's all over!", started Woundwort, walking forward to where most of the rabbits were, directly outside of the warren.

"Hickory has abandoned you in your time of need. He is no chief of this warren. I am the chief of this warren. From now on, you will all take your orders from me!", he continued to shout.

"Anybody who wishes to argue will die by my paw!", he finished.

"We'll never surrender our freedom to you Woundwort. We lived in the shadow of the Shining Wires too long. We're not going to become a prisoner to fear again.", replied one of the Redstone rabbits defiantly stepping forward. Without a moment's hesitation, Woundwort struck the other rabbit. The force instantly sent him crashing to the ground, where he lay still. For a few seconds the other rabbits stared waiting for movement, however none came.

"Does anyone else wish to argue?", growled Woundwort. This time, there was silence.

"Do what I tell you, and you can all live in safety. Defy me, and suffer.", he finished, heading for the entrance to Redstone. Cowslip followed, much to the disgust and partial disbelief of the other rabbits.

"A most delightful way with words you have.", muttered Cowslip cheerfully.

"Shut up Cowslip!", Woundwort snapped back.

"So when do you wish to make your enchanting visit to Efrafa?", asked Cowslip.

Woundwort paused briefly to consider this. He wanted to attack right away, however he knew that wasn't part of the plan.

"Just before Frith sets in the sky. Vervain will be ready by then.", he replied.

"He'd better be!", he added under his breath.

*************

Meanwhile, near Cowslip's Warren

Hickory had ran most of the way following the trail left by Marigold. Unlike her earlier, he was fully aware of the area he was nearing, and had now slowed to a more cautious pace.

"Marigold!", he shouted again, hoping for an answer.

"Where are you?", he continued, his voice becoming more and more despondent.

Suddenly, he heard movement from the undergrowth. Almost immediately, his face dropped again, as a squirrel dashed past and up into a nearby tree. It was then that his eyes caught sight of Marigold's light fur a short distance away.

"There you are!", he shouted, running towards her. As soon as he managed to see her properly though, his cheerful face changed. Her once bright golden fur had fallen dull, almost becoming grey. Blood covered the ground by the mouth, and around her neck where the shining wire had cut into it.

Hickory's heart shattered at that moment, and his world fell apart. A sickening sensation rushed over him, stunning him, and leaving him unable to speak or move. He could barely believe what his eyes were telling him.

"Marigo...", he eventually managed to choke out after a few seconds, which may as well have been weeks. The word died on his tongue.

His mind closed to everything else around him. The smells of the forest and the occasional singing of the birds both faded away. He moved closer to Marigold, before slumping down in the grass beside her, his head half hanging over her front paw. Hickory shivered. Marigold was still warm, but he knew it was a cold warmth. The Black Rabbit had already taken away any true warmth she had.

"I'm sorry, Marigold. I'm sorry.", he whispered, the tears from his eyes mixing with the blood in her fur.

His life was effectively over; it had ended as soon as Marigold had left. In what remained of Hickory's heart, he knew he had failed her. He hadn't been there for her when she needed him most. Without moving, he glanced at the sky out of the corner of his sorrowful eyes. Although it was only late morning on a warm summer day, he could already sense the darkness closing in, and the air turning perpetually cold. The elil would be here soon, looking for easy prey, but Hickory no longer cared. He knew then that as was his oath, he would never leave her side again. Two rabbits would never see the light of another day.

TO BE CONTINUED


Next week it's the big fight against Efrafa. To be honest, I can't really think of much more to say that that.

Thoughts and Opinions always welcome =:) - Guestbook / email

 

Back To Home