4th Water

Episode 4.10 - The Impossible Quest

Disclaimers:

The Watership Down series belongs to Alltime and Decode Entertainment. The original characters were the work of Richard Adams, however, many of the characters in the series were changed, and these belong to Alltime/Decode. I am just borrowing the characters for this fansite, and I mean no-one any harm by this. I am in no way connected with any of the companies mentioned above.

This is supposed to be a fanfic fourth series, continuing on from my Virtual 3rd series, rather than continuing from the official series 3. It is in no way supposed to detract from the official third series. When I originally planned out my third series, I never knew of the existance of the official one. As it has never, and doesn't look as though it ever will be, aired in the UK, I decided to write an alternative series, continuing on from where series 2 (The Homecoming) left off. By the time I started 4th Water, I had an idea of what happens in some of the official third series, hence some of it (but not all) has been planned to try and avoid sounding too similar.

All characters are completely fictitious and any resemblance to any persons either living or dead is purely coincidental. If anyone has any problems with this episode, they are advised to contact the webmaster on [email protected].

 

Writer's notes:

Well, after last weeks slightly daring episode, you should all be happy to know there's nothing particularly controversial this time round. Hmm... you're right, it doesn't suit me, but what can you do. =;)

Anyway, there's some Efrafans in it. There, that ought to please people. =:)


Down by the River

Blackavar, Dandelion and Gooseberry lay crouched down in a bunch of reeds, close to the waterside.

"Hawkbit, hurry up!", whispered Dandelion.

Almost a week had passed since the events with Zenthang. Although Hawkbit had made a quick recovery from the whole experience, he still remained a little less bouncy than usual, trailing behind the other 3 rabbits.

"I don't know why we're bothering. He's going to find us!", replied Hawkbit.

"If we stay by the water, it should hide our tracks... at least until Bigwig's calmed down a bit.", whispered Gooseberry.

"I think we'll be waiting a long time for that to happen!", replied Dandelion.

"It's your fault we're stuck out here in the first place. It was your idea!", pointed out Gooseberry.

"When I suggested kicking some mud at Bigwig as a joke, I didn't mean bring down half the wall of his burrow.", replied Dandelion.

"How were we supposed to know that would happen.", replied Blackavar. It was him and Gooseberry who had delivered well aimed kicks with their hind legs on the burrow walls as Bigwig slept, accidentally bringing down more dirt than intended. Hawkbit and Dandelion had become caught up, as they had been watching at the time, and their sniggering faces were the last things Bigwig had seen before his view was blocked by soil.

"It's all this rain we've been having.", he continued.

Dandelion glanced upwards, where Frith shone brightly in a cloudless sky. Although it did feel as though rainfall was imminent soon, they all knew there hadn't been any rain for days. Indeed, the only reason they were wet now was due to their proximity to the river.

"Shh... someone's coming!", whispered Blackavar. Everyone fell silent, and flattened their bodies to the ground, as the sound of rabbit footsteps grew nearer.

"He's heading right for us. Do we bolt?", asked Gooseberry, his voice barely audible.

"Even if we do, he's going to find us.", replied Blackavar.

At that moment, the rabbit jumped into the reeds, landing on top of Hawkbit. Hawkbit was about to squeal in a mixture of shock and pain, however the other 3 rabbits held his mouth closed.

"Pipkin!", started Dandelion.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I didn't know you were there.", replied Pipkin.

"Shhhhh!!", interrupted Gooseberry and Blackavar.

"Why? What's going on? What are you all doing?", replied Pipkin, his voice dropping to a whisper like the rest.

"We're hiding!", groaned Hawkbit, as Pipkin hopped off his back.

"Hiding? Who from?", continued Pipkin.

"When I get my paws on you lot we'll see who's going to have fun!", came Bigwig's voice in the distance.

"Him!", whispered Blackavar, as the other rabbits all crouched down again.

"Oh. I'd better hide with you then.", replied Pipkin, crouching down with the others.

They watched as Bigwig came bouncing over the crest of a nearby hill. He stopped on the top to survey the scene.

"He's going to see us, isn't he.", whispered Pipkin.

"Not if we stay still he won't!", replied Blackavar.

Bigwig moved towards the group of hidden rabbits, at which they all held their breath. Just as it seemed he was about to uncover them, Bigwig stopped, looked around, then changed direction.

"I think we're safe.", smiled Dandelion. Almost instantly, he regretted saying so. Pipkin, who had until that point remained still, suddenly slipped on the wet grass. It wouldn't have been enough to attract any attention by itself, however he dislodged a small rock which fell into the water with a splash.

"Eep!", muttered Dandelion, as Bigwig ran across to the huddling group of rabbits.

"Having a nice lie down lads?", he snorted.

*************

In the woodland near Efrafa

Vervain hopped along miserably. Trying to follow his orders from Woundwort was proving slightly more difficult than he had expected. Everything seemed to run so smoothly with Campion as chief that to find a reason for anyone to turn against him required more cunning than even he could muster. Not that he'd told the General any of that! If only he could think of somewhere to start; an entry point for his story that...

"Ow!", he yelped, interrupting his train of thought as he scratched his hind leg on a thorny bush. A few drops of blood trickled to the ground, staining the grass.

"This would never have happened with W...", he muttered to himself, before being interrupted by another Efrafan emerging from the grass.

"What was that noise? Were you under attack or something?", asked a large grey rabbit.

"Oh, it was jus...", started Vervain. He suddenly stopped to think.

"Yes, I was.", he continued, smiling briefly, before changing his face to feign fear.

"I injured my leg running from a vicious homba that's been sniffing around the warren for the last few days.", he continued.

"A homba? Have you told Campion-rah about it. He normally keeps the warren free from elil.", replied the other rabbit.

"Of course I've told Campion about it. He wasn't interested though. Apparently he thinks keeping us safe from the elil all the time is clinging too much to Woundwort's ideas.", replied Vervain.

"That doesn't sound like something he would say.", replied the other rabbit.

"Had anyone else told me, that's what I would have said. But I heard this with my own two ears.", replied Vervain.

"If there's a homba nearby, perhaps we should get back to Efrafa then.", suggested the other rabbit, already turning the other way.

Back at Efrafa

Vervain ran across the valley surrounding Efrafa with a smile on his face, the stinging from his earlier scratch not even bothering him.

"You look happy about something.", started Campion.

"What isn't there to be happy about Campion-rah.", smiled Vervain. He continued towards the warren entrance, trying to hold back the laughter.

Campion kept staring in his direction with a troubled look on his face.

"What is it Campion?", asked Blackberry, rubbing up against him to attract his attention.

"Huh?!", replied Campion, who had failed to even notice her approach.

"There's something troubling me about him Blackberry.", he continued.

"Vervain?", she asked.

"Yes, Vervain. He's so... so.... cheerful!", replied Campion.

"Is that a bad thing?", asked Blackberry.

"With him it is. He's only ever this happy when he's up to something.", sighed Campion, before glancing at the warren entrance with a look of utmost suspicion in his eyes.

"It's probably nothing.", he finished, snapping back to looking at Blackberry, and trying to clear his mind of all thoughts of Vervain.

"So, when are we going to Watership Down to fetch Pinecone?", asked Campion.

Pinecone was Blackberry's adopted kitten. When her and Campion had originally moved to Efrafa, they had wanted to take her with them, however it was decided it would be better for her to stay at the Down with the other youngsters, due to the lack of any kittens at Efrafa. She had been cared for by her father Gooseberry during that time. Now that Efrafa was once again full of life, as a warren should be, they were going to ask if she wished to join them.

"Whenever you want.", replied Blackberry, trying unsuccessfully to hide her eagerness to see Hazel and the others again.

*************

Later that day, on the Down

Dandelion sat nursing what was by now a very large and sore lump on the back of his head from where Bigwig had cuffed him hard earlier. Despite his pain, he wasn't about to let it ruin his concentration.

"Come on Hawkbit. Might as well get this wrong and lose.", he spoke, covering his bobstones cast with his one free front paw.

"Don't rush me Dandelion.", replied Hawkbit. He was clinging to the hope that if he waited long enough, Dandelion might crack and give some kind of hint. Unfortunately Dandelion was far too experienced to fall into such a trap.

"Oh look, here comes Blackberry and Campion.", he continued. Noticing an opportunity to change the subject, he ran to greet them.

"Blackberry, what a surprise. It's great to see you.", smiled Hawkbit.

"Nice to see you too.", replied Blackberry, instantly suspicious of Hawkbit's unusually warm welcome.

"I'm sure you've got lots of stories to tell. Why don't you tell us all about it?", he continued. Dandelion, watching from nearby, sighed and shook his head.

"We will later when everyone's gathered. Where's Hazel?", asked Blackberry.

"er... he was in the Honeycomb talking with Fiver when I last saw him.", replied Hawkbit.

"Thank you. We'll see you again later.", finished Blackberry, before her and Campion headed for the warren entrance.

"Now where were we Hawkbit?", shouted Dandelion.

Hawkbit grumbled, and decided to give in.

"Bobstone guess is three!", he snapped, randomly guessing.

Dandelion was astounded at Hawkbit's answer.

"Lucky Guess!", he replied, uncovering 3 stones.

"If you get your guess wrong, then I win right?", smiled Hawkbit.

"Yes, but it isn't going to happen.", replied Dandelion, turning away as Hawkbit collected his stones.

He turned back as Hawkbit sat smugly covering his cast, and concentrated.

"Who's going to lose now?", smiled Hawkbit.

Dandelion glanced across at the warren entrance where Pipkin had just emerged laughing with Gillia and Snowdrop.

"How come Bigwig didn't cuff him?", moaned Dandelion, as the kittens ran past.

"Perhaps it's because he didn't do anything.", replied Hawkbit.

"Neither did we. We were just watching.", pointed out Dandelion.

"Come on now Dandelion. You were keen to finish this game before, so why the sudden change?", grinned Hawkbit.

"Bobstone guess....", started Dandelion cautiously, trying to concentrate over the sound of the kittens laughing as they played.

"...is...", he continued, before pausing again.

Hawkbit leaned forward smiling. As he did so, Pipkin ran into the side of him. Although it only took a second for Hawkbit to regain his balance, it was long enough for Dandelion to see 2 stones.

"Ow, watch it Pipkin!", shouted Hawkbit, looking in the direction of the dazed youngster.

"Oh, I'm sorry Hawkbit. I didn't mean it.", replied Pipkin cheerfully.

Hawkbit grumbled looking back towards Dandelion.

"Bobstone guess is two!", smiled Dandelion. Hawkbit looked stunned at the sudden confidence in his companion's voice.

He slowly uncovered the two stones, before stepping back in a huff.

"Looks like I win again.", continued Dandelion.

"You cheated!", growled Hawkbit.

"You looked when Pipkin knocked me!", he continued.

"For once Hawkbit, can't you avoid being a sore loser?", sighed Dandelion.

"This is all your fault Pipkin!", continued Hawkbit to the small buck.

"I said I didn't mean to.", replied Pipkin.

"Why do you keep bothering me anyway?", continued Hawkbit.

"I'm booooored!", whinged Pipkin.

"Why don't you bother Bigwig? That's always fun!", suggested Hawkbit.

"He's talking to Campion.", moaned Pipkin.

"Oh, won't you play. Please! Please! Please!", he continued in an irritating tone of voice. Hawkbit would have cuffed any other rabbit, but he knew that to attack one of the youngsters would result in some harsh punishment from Bigwig.

"I have an idea Pipkin. How about a game?", suggested Hawkbit

"A game? What sort of game?", asked Pipkin.

"One where you don't bother us.", replied Hawkbit.

"How do we play this game?", asked Pipkin.

Hawkbit stopped to think. He looked across at Dandelion for help. Dandelion simply shrugged his shoulders.

"Er... go and see if you can find the...um... Perfect White Spotted Redstone, which is... er... as light as straw.", suggested Hawkbit.

Pipkin laughed before running off across the Down.

"What in Frith's name is a Perfect White Spotted Redstone?", asked Dandelion.

"There's no such thing. It should keep him busy for a while though.", grinned Hawkbit.

"Now why don't we replay that last round?", he continued.

"Another time Hawkbit.", finished Dandelion, already heading for the main run.

*************

Late afternoon, on the Down

After spending most of the day talking and laughing with their friends on the Down, Campion and Blackberry were preparing to leave to head back to Efrafa. It was to be only the two of them though. They had asked Pinecone if she wished to come along with them, however she had decided to stay at the Down. Although a little upset at first, Blackberry did accept that the kitten being happy was the important thing.

"Are you sure you won't stay a little longer?", asked Hazel, standing at the warren entrance with several of the other rabbits.

"We'd love to, but we really ought to get going. It looks set to rain soon, and we want to be back at Efrafa before then.", replied Campion.

Hazel looked at the sky. Sure enough, threatening grey clouds were gathering in the sky.

"Besides which, I don't trust leaving Vervain too long. He's always causing trouble if I'm not around to keep an eye on him.", continued Campion, looking suspiciously in the direction of Efrafa.

"Vervain wouldn't dare!", replied Blackberry.

"And if he does, I'd be happy to teach him a thing or two.", continued Bigwig.

"Bigwig!", scolded Hazel.

"What? I was only offering to help.", replied the Owsla captain.

"Thanks for the offer, but I don't think we'll need it.", laughed Campion.

With that Campion and Blackberry disappeared over the edge of the Down, Bigwig still laughing after them.

"What's wrong Fiver?", asked Hazel, noticing the worried look on his brother's face.

"I don't know Hazel. It's just a feeling. Like something's missing.", replied Hazel.

Meanwhile, near Efrafa

Vervain lay low to the ground watching a fox sniffing the air nearby. He was having to try desperately hard to resist the urge to bolt for safety, even though the fox was well out of his range.

"Oh, I can't do this. I'm no good at baiting foxes.", he muttered quietly to himself, his fur quivering.

"I'll have to tell Woundwort that it's too difficult. He's bound to understand...", he continued, before picturing the scene with Woundwort in his head.

"It's no good sire. It's impossible to turn everyone against Campion. He's just too well loved", started Vervain.

Woundwort looked back at Vervain, before starting to smile.

"That's okay Vervain. I have a better plan now.", he replied.

"You do!?", questioned Vervain.

"Of course Vervain.", replied Woundwort, before sighing.

"I'm afraid I'm still going to have to beat you though.", he continued.

"Don't worry. I'll make this as slow and painful as pos..."

Vervain snapped his train of thought back to reality.

"On second thoughts...", he muttered to himself, before jumping out in the open. He had originally planned to run quite close to the fox to attract his attention, however as soon as the fox glanced in his direction, Vervain's fear took over and he bolted.

"Elil! Elil!", he squealed, heading in the direction of Efrafa.

In the woodland, near the Down

Pipkin huddled under the shelter of a tree as the rain lashed down all around him.

"I wonder how far you have to go to find a White Spotted Redstone.", he sighed to himself.

Pipkin shivered with the cold. Just then a small red and black bird emerged from the hedgerow.

"What are you doing all the way out here in the rain, Pipkin?", asked the bird.

"Oh hello Feathel. I'm looking for a white spotted redstone.", replied Pipkin cheerfully.

"What's one of those?", replied the bird.

Pipkin stared back blankly.

"I don't know actually. I guess it's a perfectly round stone that's red with white spots.", he replied.

"Oooh!", replied Feathel in realisation.

"Have you any idea where I could find one?", asked Pipkin.

The bird paused to shake the rain from his feathers, before replying.

"There was one thing..."

*************

Back at the Down

Hazel left the Honeycomb to approach Dandelion and Hawkbit from behind. The two bucks were sitting just inside the run, watching the rain outside.

"Strange isn't it. I couldn't even tell you if Zenthang liked the rain.", spoke Hawkbit.

"I thought I knew everything about her, yet the more I think about it, the more I realise she was a total stranger.", he continued, before sighing.

"Have either of you seen Pipkin?", asked Hazel.

"No. Why?", replied Dandelion.

"I was asking about, and nobody's seen him all day.", replied Hazel.

"Gillia said you were speaking to him this morning, then he ran off.", he continued.

"Oh that. That was just...", started Hawkbit, before stopping suddenly.

"He wouldn't, would he?", he continued, looking at Dandelion, before looking back out into the rain.

"Wouldn't what? Hawkbit what's going on?", asked Hazel.

Efrafa

Vervain came running into the Efrafan valley panting, the rain running down the fur on his face.

"Calm down Vervain. It's only a bit of rain. Even you can't be afraid of that.", laughed a large brown buck, his fur also wet. He had chosen a very strange time to silflay, in the middle of a rainstorm, however it was his own fault for sleeping too much whilst it was fair.

"No, no! You don't understand!", panted Vervain.

"There was a homba in the forest just outside of the warren!", he continued frantically.

"A homba?!", added another rabbit, overhearing what Vervain had said from the entrance to the warren.

Two other rabbits joined the group in the rain at that point.

"Did someone say there was a homba?", came another voice.

"Oh, it's just Vervain. You know what a liar he is!", laughed the other rabbit.

"I really mean it this time. Come and see if you don't believe me.", replied Vervain, a little annoyed at the lack of trust the other Efrafans showed in him.

Vervain led, whilst the others followed. It was strange, but for a brief moment, Vervain almost felt as though he had his power back. Other rabbits were following him when they were told. He smiled to himself as he ran. After a short while, he stopped and cautiously sniffed the air.

"Over there was where I lost him. I think he's gone now.", he spoke.

Two of the rabbits ran across to where Vervain had pointed and began sniffing at the ground.

"He's right you know. There was a fox here. There's still fresh scent.", shouted one of them.

"See, I told you all!", snarled Vervain.

"It isn't like Campion-rah to allow a fox to get too close. We'd better warn him about this so he can step up security. Where is he?", asked the large brown rabbit.

"Don't you know. He's at the Outside... he's at Watership Down with Blackberry. He's doesn't care about our safety. They're planning to abandon us and move back there.", replied Vervain.

"Now you really are lieing. We all know Campion better than that.", snarled the other rabbit.

"Well here he comes now. Let's ask him, shall we!", smiled Vervain, as Campion and Blackberry could be seen running towards the group in the rain.

"What's going on? Why are you all out in the rain?", asked Campion.

"Oh, we were just wondering where you were.", replied Vervain.

"We were at Hazel's warren. Why?", asked Campion suspiciously.

At that the other rabbits all turned and headed back towards the warren. They still didn't fully believe Vervain, but everything he'd stated so far had turned out to be true. Campion moved close to Vervain to look him in the eyes. Vervain, not surprisingly, cowered back.

"I don't know what you're up to Vervain, but I'll find out and put a stop to it.", growled Campion, before Blackberry pulled him back. He took one last look at the cowardly black rabbit, before heading back towards Efrafa's entrance.

"Oh, you can't stop it Campion. It's already too well underway!", muttered Vervain, desperately resisting the urge to burst into laughter.

*************

Watership Down, Early Evening

By now, the heavy rain had faded to a light drizzle. Hawkbit, Dandelion, Hazel and Fiver sat at the entrance to the warren waiting for any news about Pipkin.

"Any sign Bigwig?", asked Hazel, as the grey rabbit approached from the East with Pimpernel and Blackavar.

"Nothing. It's nearly impossible to make out any tracks with the rain too.", replied Bigwig.

"Nothing over this way either.", continued Captain Broom, approaching from the other side with Holly and Honeysuckle.

"This is all your fault Hawkbit!", snarled Bigwig at Hawkbit.

"When I told him about that rock, I didn't think he'd run away from the Down to go and look for it.", replied Hawkbit.

"You'd better hope he's alright my son, or you'll find out what it's like to be really hurt.", continued Bigwig.

"So what do we do now?", he continued to Hazel.

Hazel paused to think for a moment before replying.

"Well we know he isn't in the immediate area around the Down. I think we should extend the search. The forest at the foot of the Down is probably the best place to start. It's best if we can get in and out of there before the Owls come out.", he spoke.

"Right then. We'll seperate into the same units as before. Captain Broom, you go with...", started Bigwig, before being interrupted by Dandelion.

"Look!", he shouted.

Everyone glanced in the direction he was pointing. Pipkin had just appeared over the top of the Down, pushing a strange red ball, with a small bird flying around him. He stopped when he saw everyone staring at him.

"What's going on? Why's everyone looking so worried?", he asked, leaving the object, and running across to the others.

"Pipkin! Where in Frith's name have you been?", started Bigwig, running across to him.

"Looking for the Perfect White Spotted Redstone. Why?", asked Pipkin, as Hawkbit looked increasingly nervous.

"We thought something had happened to you! You should know better than to run off on your own without telling anyone where you're going. Especially based on a story Hawkbit tells.", continued Hazel.

"Story? What story?", Pipkin replied with a confused look on his face.

"Ahaha!", laughed Hawkbit nervously.

"Th..that stone. There's no such thing. I made the whole thing up.", he continued.

Pipkin looked at him, before smiling.

"Oh, but you're wrong Hawkbit. I found it!", he replied, pointing at the strange object.

Hawkbit went across to look. Sure enough it was a perfectly spherical red object with white spots on it.

"It's as light as straw too!", he muttered to himself, knocking it cautiously with his front paw.

"Where did it come from?", asked Hazel.

"I don't know. Feathel said it just appeared one day by one of the Man trails.", replied Pipkin.

"That's my lad. There's no challenge you aren't capable of!", smiled Bigwig, ruffling the fur on Pipkin's head affectionately.

"A shame some others can't be a bit more like you.", he continued, glancing at his Owsla.

With that Hazel and the others headed back towards the entrance to the warren, leaving only Dandelion and Hawkbit staring at the new object.

"Remind me of one thing in future Dandelion.", started Hawkbit, prodding the object.

"What?", replied Dandelion.

"Never challenge Pipkin to do anything!", he finished, as he could hear everyone continuing to fuss over and congratulate the small buck underground.

THE END


Hmm... that was probably Pipkin's only major episode of the series. Oh well, he can go back to being the character in the background that nobody seems to bother with from now on. =;) Actually, considering who the focus is going to be on in the coming episodes, that suggestion probably isn't far wrong. =:o

Thoughts and Opinions always welcome =:) - Guestbook / email

 

Back To Home